Pond Boss
Posted By: 441 hard to fish structure - 06/15/20 04:44 PM
Hey guys! New to the forum. Currently building a 4 acre pond. Really excited about building cover and structure in the new pond. But I'm wondering about how aggravating (if at all) it is fishing around all of the underwater structure we might add. If it's not visible from the surface, are you constantly getting hung up on the structure?

Thanks!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: hard to fish structure - 06/15/20 05:08 PM
Welcome, since you are new here you will learn about the following answer "It Depends" I like using rolled tubing over pvc and I learned the fish don't care much for white. You can sand it and paint it before u sink it. If you think about it the fish will use cover to hide in and they can't hide too well in a white background and hooks will slide off it sometimes. I will use things I find laying around, like tires, pallets along with maybe potted plant containers, old stiff garden hose's. It's fun coming up with things. Any larger sized rocks make great cover.
Posted By: al allison Re: hard to fish structure - 06/19/20 08:45 PM
Zachary,
I like to use black 4" corrugated flexible drain pipe to make structure for deeper water. I mark my structure with a 1 1/4 " pvc pipe driven into pond bottom. I use Christmas trees for structure at pond edge and also stake to pond bottom. I keep several rakes around pond to pull Christmas trees out of water when I hang up a lure. There are a number of commercially made pond structures made of composite materials that are relatively snag resistant that you should consider. You can minimize hang ups using hard round materials for structure.

Al Allison
Posted By: Flame Re: hard to fish structure - 06/19/20 09:22 PM
I have a duck decoy tied on a string to EVERY pile of cover I put out. Brings a few live ducks in,looks better than plastic jugs floating all over the pond and I cast around them. I go to garage sales and buy up all those mini dumbbell weights people say they are going to use and never do!! Great anchors for decoys at usually only $1 each!!
Posted By: ShortCut Re: hard to fish structure - 06/21/20 03:16 AM
You'll need dense and fluffy over. If you have cedar some is best used for fluffy as is. For others I tied individual limbs in a big tight bundle. Trim branches that stick out to reduce hangups. Don't use galvanized fence wire. It will rust through quicker than I suspected. Still holding for now. Approximately 25 trees are in and another 25 would be better. Get busy before it fills!
Posted By: ewest Re: hard to fish structure - 06/23/20 04:10 PM
See this for ideas

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463
Posted By: RossC Re: hard to fish structure - 06/27/20 01:26 AM
Hardwood brush piles and blowdowns are generally easier to fish than cedar. However, we built a large cedar brush pile a couple of months ago with 3 cedar trees over 30 feet tall and 10" at the base. One of them took 2 hours to tow 200 yards. We sunk them in 8-10' of water. It holds more fish than any other brush pile we have. My conclusion is that larger piles work better than smaller ones.
© Pond Boss Forum