Pond Boss
Posted By: RPB Leaving willows - 04/05/20 12:02 AM
Hello fellas

I’m renovating an old pond that had a leaky damn where an old stump was left years ago when the pond was made larger. We dug the dam down and removed the stump. Then dug out 50 years of silt with a skid steer and got down to the original bottom. It’s 8 ft below the cut in the damn. It holds water great and some willows have grown over the last few years at that waters edge. They are about 10-15’ tall. When I fix the dam and the water level is full they will be about 30’ from the shore and entirely underwater to their tip top.

If I leave them during the renovation will it create a problem down the road. Rotting and breaking the seal at the bottom. Would make some great habitat in a large circle in the middle of the pond but not sure if I can let them or just take them out

Thanks, Ryan
Posted By: RAH Re: Leaving willows - 04/05/20 10:14 AM
It really depends on your soil structure. If the roots are entirely in an impervious layer, then leaving them should be fine. If they extend into a pervious layer, then they should be removed and the ground repacked to prevent water from passing through.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Leaving willows - 04/05/20 12:37 PM
I left some willows in the ponds water when being built and thought they would make good cover but I would NOT do it again. Seemed like every leaf that floated away from the trees started a new willow along the shoreline. It's been a pain in the arse to keep them from overtaking the ponds edge.
Posted By: RAH Re: Leaving willows - 04/05/20 01:54 PM
I am guessing you had a large willow seed-bank. I have to fight willows on each new pond and wetland, but never had any growing in the ponds or wetland area ahead of time. Seeds travel long distances on the wind.
Posted By: RPB Re: Leaving willows - 04/06/20 12:38 AM
Well... looks like I am gonna just take them out then. I’ll do artificial cover
Posted By: RAH Re: Leaving willows - 04/06/20 12:07 PM
Probably the wisest course of action. Good luck on the pond!
© Pond Boss Forum