Pond Boss
Posted By: mthompson How many cinder blocks for a log crib? - 02/28/20 06:12 PM
I am prepping to make a handful of log cribs. I have an abundance of Ash logs and honeysuckle brush all set, but I can't decide on how many cinder blocks to build into each one.

I've used 4-5 blocks on pallet structures before, so I was thinking 8 on these cribs would work...one on each corner and 4 on logs in the middle. My plan is to run the logs through the blocks, and square lash the structure together....adding alternating rows of honeysuck that will get sandwiched in place with the next logs going up.

Oh, and I'm building these on the ice, planning 6ft x 6ft at the lashing with overhanging logs in each direction.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Posted By: mthompson Re: How many cinder blocks for a log crib? - 03/10/20 06:09 PM
I ended up putting 12 blocks on each since many of the ash logs I had were dryer than I thought they'd be since they only died fall.

Attached picture 20200302_200919[2].jpg
Posted By: ShortCut Re: How many cinder blocks for a log crib? - 03/10/20 07:44 PM
I used 8 but my mesquite logs were green and I also used 4 fence posts to tie them down. Just don't use galvanized fence wire. It rusts out pretty quick.
Posted By: mthompson Re: How many cinder blocks for a log crib? - 03/13/20 08:45 PM
I used 12 regular 8x8x16 blocks....the cribs were 8ft x8ft roughly, and 24 logs on one and 332 on the other...and brushed thick in each....they both melted through sank right to the bottom this past weekend.

I tied these all together with poly baler twine and square lashings (like building a raft).
© Pond Boss Forum