Pond Boss
Posted By: bikerider Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/15/16 04:12 AM
I have my pond (approx~700 gallon stock tank) stocked with some plants for cover for five small goldfish. Currently I have some tall grass, a calla lily plant, a water lily, about 5 water hyacinth plants and a tree branch structure with moss growing on it. My pond doesn't see much sunlight so I am wondering if there are pond plants that grow well without much sun? I have noticed the hyacinths growing very little and have noticed the calla lily doing the best of all of them. I was hoping the hyacinth would take off and spread across half the pond. Suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
I noticed in my 600 gallon koi pond that the water hyacynth and water lettuce would explode in growth in full sun. About once a week I would have to skim half of them out. Not so sure how they will do in shade. Have you tried elephant ears? They like very moist soil but do not prefer to be submerged.
Posted By: bikerider Re: Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/15/16 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
I noticed in my 600 gallon koi pond that the water hyacynth and water lettuce would explode in growth in full sun. About once a week I would have to skim half of them out. Not so sure how they will do in shade. Have you tried elephant ears? They like very moist soil but do not prefer to be submerged.
I haven't tried elephant ears, but I will check them out on google. Sounds like a similar plant to the calla lily I have.
Posted By: RRWJ Re: Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/16/16 01:15 AM
if you like what you have put a grow light over it and watch it all night
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/16/16 03:55 AM
Pontederia cordata, common name pickerelweed, might work for you. I have a small area that I planted last year and it's doing well. It has great purple flowers all summer.
Posted By: bikerider Re: Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/21/16 07:43 PM
Is pickerlweed a floating plant?
Posted By: Instar Re: Pond plants that grow well in shade? - 07/21/16 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: bikerider
Is pickerlweed a floating plant?

No. It is a rooted plant.
© Pond Boss Forum