Pond Boss
Posted By: FarmerCharlie Small Auxiliary Pond - 09/22/11 08:49 PM
Last year I asked about creating a small (twenty foot diameter) pond at the entrance of my existing one-acre pond.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=218864#Post218864
My goal is to create an attractively landscaped habitat for minnows and frogs and other critters away from the bass in the main pond. This is what I had in mind last year:

Since then I have removed the sweet gums and planted some river birch, cypress, and sweet bay magnolias. Last year I was thinking about just putting in some rocks at the junction between the two ponds. Now I am thinking I might prefer an actual dam. I would also like to add a pipe so that I could pump water from the existing pond to the small pond to keep it from drying out. This is what I am thinking about now:

My main question is whether to use a regular earth dam (shown in green) or possibly build one of concrete and rocks (shown in red). If I do the later, then I might be able to add a small waterfall at the entrance to the existing pond.

Any suggestions on these ideas? If I use an earth dam, I have a pretty good idea how to proceed, but I would have to do some research on a concrete/rock dam.
Posted By: DJT Re: Small Auxiliary Pond - 09/26/11 02:46 AM
Concrete damn with waterfall should help keep small fish from main pond from swimming into small one.
© Pond Boss Forum