Pond Boss
Posted By: taz Waterfowl Pond / Impoundment ideas - 05/26/10 11:22 PM
I just bought a new farm in Southern Ontario and I'm looking for some ideas how to manage / develop it for waterfowl hunting. Here's some info......

The farm is 51 acres and is currently farmed with beans (recently planted for the season). The soil is 'lacustrine clay' and according to the soil report has 'poor drainage'. The well drilling report says its clay for the first 34 feet and then it turns to limestone base just under that. The land itself is quite flat with about a 2% grade over the property. The area has a good number of ducks and lots of geese. I don't get possession until mid July and can't do too much work until the beans come off in early October.

Here's a satellite pic of the property. The dark blue is where water was flowing as of 2 weeks ago - mostly runoff but there was a good amount. The light blue is where there was standing water which I'm assuming was mostly seasonal but there was aquatic vegetation growing in all of these areas. There were nesting ducks and geese in most of these holes/depressions along with a good amount of 1st year ducks (well over a dozen mallards and some wood ducks) that I scared up. Each field has been labelled with its acreage and as an aside there were about a dozen turkeys in the back field which was higher and drier than the rest........

Here's a closer shot of the middle of the property. Notice the mature oak trees.....plenty of acorns and deer tracks on the ground......

.....another shot.....

Here's two views looking back from the homestead - first looking back and to the right (ie northeast of the farmhouse to the 9 acre field)......

Another shot looking to the north west into the 12 acre field and beyond....

My funds are not the greatest but I am willing to make certain investments. I have very good access to 2 large bobcats along with a second operator (apart from myself). I also have time on my side - I'm off every summer for 9 weeks. I will also be buying a 40hp tractor which will make certain aspects easier. I am willing to develop any proportion of this property for waterfowl production (that's why I bought it).

If this was your property and you were I.....what would you do??????

Thanks for any help, Mike
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Waterfowl Pond / Impoundment ideas - 06/02/10 09:56 PM
Hi Taz;

Welcome to the forum! Sorry this post has been getting a tad dusty - I'm here to provide a bump.

Any waterfowl experts out there?
Posted By: esshup Re: Waterfowl Pond / Impoundment ideas - 06/02/10 10:04 PM
TJ:

This was asked and answered in another thread, although I don't remember where it was posted. That's the trouble with asking the same question in different threads.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Waterfowl Pond / Impoundment ideas - 06/03/10 01:33 AM
Shoot - my bad. Thanks Scott...
© Pond Boss Forum