Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame how to fertilize bermuda grass at ponds edge - 06/21/21 06:01 PM
Just recently spread bermuda grass seed around my 2 acre pond. This was about 3 weeks ago and the grass seems to be growing well. Hancock seed company said I should fertilize it now with a slow release formula.How safe is that for my pond water? I have steep banks and I'm afraid it might run into the pond. Wouldn't that cause excessive growth in my pond with weeds? What percent fertilizer do ya'll use for bermuda around your pond? How heavy and how often to apply? Also...will bermuda take over the bahai grass that is there eventually? Thanks in advance.
I doubt it. I figure that very little would run off. Just sink into the dirt.
Water it with nutrient rich pond water? Nothing will outcompete Bahia in my mind .... but it’s green
i tried the pond water thing Pat. Don't have a pump strong enough. i ran 400 ft. of waterhose from my house to water the side I planted the bermuda seed. IF I had a stand of bahia before I would not have had to plant bermuda. All I had was a clay bank hill. So I had topsoil brought in and planted winter rye last winter. I have cut it down and planted the bermuda. The "topsoil" I had hauled in smelled like cow manure and I don't have any doubt it came from someones pasture because he also said it will have a lot of bahia seed in it. Low and behold...I have bahia grass coming up all around my newly planted bermuda grass!!!! Hope it doesn't choke it out. Hope they can live in harmony! I just want GROUNDCOVER!!
James it makes good ground cover for sure. Maybe since neither one is established they will coexist . The first year Bermuda doesn’t do much other than grow straight up- not many runners, after that it takes off
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Water it with nutrient rich pond water? Nothing will outcompete Bahia in my mind .... but it’s green

All things being equal, bahia would be my choice too. Extremely tough, and limited height. Maintenance issues could literally go away.
Lol it’s hard to cut when it puts up seed pods
Hey James don’t weed eat it for a while and let the seeds spread if you wag Bahia...... drought resistant
Thanks guys. I'm not mowing it at all this year probably. Just water, maybe fertilize, and watch it grow to finally eliminate my clay hill!! Purchasing the topsoil and covering that red clay was probably the best money spent!!
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Lol it’s hard to cut when it puts up seed pods

Yes it is. It's the GSF of turfs.
Yup and I got tons of it
© Pond Boss Forum