Pond Boss
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Old new pond... new user - 02/20/20 01:05 AM
Hey All, I just stumbled upon your forum and trying to soak in as much as I can.

I've got 1/3 to 1/2 half acre pond that doesn't stay full in the summer. Long and short, I hired a contractor to rebuild it to 1-1.5 acres. It's a deep valley behind the dam and what appears to be a 1-2 acres of tree clearing. 10k yards are estimated for the new dam. We are figuring 20-25 feet deep.

1 month of work including stacking trees I am keeping, finish grading and an overflow drain. What are your thoughts on cost?

Thanks. I'll get some pictures up of what it looks like today.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Old new pond... new user - 02/20/20 01:26 AM
Welcome to the club. That can vary so much. 1 month of work. How many workers? What kind of equipment did they use?
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Re: Old new pond... new user - 02/20/20 01:39 AM
I'll find out soon enough. Starting Sunday. Equipment is a D3 or bigger, 300 Series trackhoe, big sheepsfoot. 2 guys maybe 3.
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Old new pond... new user - 02/20/20 05:25 PM
Hopefully bigger than a D3! That would take a long time to finish. A D6 was used to build mine and move approximately 20k yards. It took more than a month.
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Re: Old new pond... new user - 02/21/20 03:21 AM
I am standing on the existing dam when the picture was taken. The trees on the opposite side (where the dock is) will all be gone. We want to be able to see the whole thing from the cabin porch.

What I can't decide on yet is what to do with the peninsula that will be carve out of the old dam. Natural stone bank or wood dock/decking?

Attached File
Cabin-pond.jpg  (97 downloads)
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/08/20 01:19 PM
Well, its been nearly over a month since construction began. We are just a couple days away from complete. I'm in charge of erosion control so seed and straw will be down today or tomorrow. I am guesstimating it will be between 1- 1.1 acres of surface water.

The corner on the dam/ cabin side is over 20ft deep. My intent is to stock with largemouth, blue gill and feeder fish only, but thinking about smallies?

I will add dock/ deck as well and still thinking about placement.

Attached File
Pond-dam-west.jpg  (63 downloads)
Attached File
Pond-facing-north.jpg  (23 downloads)
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/08/20 02:30 PM
Ouch, pictures won't load. It says they are downloading but they are coming up blank. Sorry, we'll have to wait till the moderators can fix the glitch in the forum. Would love to see your pictures and try to answer your question...
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/09/20 12:11 PM
Another question for you experts. I am fighting washout from runoff due to the rain we have been getting. My bench soil (opposite the dam) has a lot of sand it in so I'm getting washout due to the whole drainage area being a bowel to begin with.

Any thoughts on this?
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/09/20 02:33 PM
Use rolls of straw matting instead of just straw. It will help getting the grass to grow faster and will help keeping it from washing out.
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/09/20 03:38 PM
A pallet conveniently floated up during high water where a large amount of sandy material washes in. In the last two rains it is nearly covered. I'm going to try adding a few others to act as rip rap.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/12/20 12:49 AM
Your pictures are still not loading HTNFSH, has anyone heard an update on when this will be fixed?
Posted By: HTNFSH2 Re: Old new pond... new user - 04/14/20 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know why the pics can't be viewed either. Moderators?

I did get some rain yesterday and it was neat to watch 3 separate streams to fill the pond on top run off. A nice 2.5hr shower added about 18 inches and cover 1/3 of the bottom.
© Pond Boss Forum