Pond Boss
Posted By: mattmonster1991 widening creeks - 09/14/16 01:12 AM
There are a few small creeks near me that have fish in them when it floods i was curious if anyone here ever tried to widen a creek for better fishing i prefer creeks to fish in but so many are just a few feets to narrow shallow my mom told me her grand dad use to throw dynamite into a creek to make it wider for fishing swimming lol
Posted By: CJD Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 07:23 AM
Unless you own it, I wouldn't attempt any renovations.
Posted By: RAH Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 11:32 AM
For a small creek, a fellow once told me about a technique for creating holes for trout. As said before, be sure you are allowed to do it. If a log is placed across the creek and buried such that water is forced down to get under it, the force of the water will dig a hole. This mimics what can happen when trees fall across a creek. Water running over a submerged line of rock can do the same thing.
Posted By: mattmonster1991 Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 01:37 PM
theres tons of creeks that just arnt wide enough to fish but when they flood iv seen dead catfish bodies scattered over the roads lol if they could be wider deeper more water woud hold im sure and during rains could be a decent fishing hole
Posted By: Zep Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: CJD
Unless you own it, I wouldn't attempt any renovations.

i wonder how that works if a creek is one of your property lines? i've got a decent property line creek with some bends in it that would appear could hold some fish....but it's all over-grown and I don't get back there much
Posted By: RAH Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 02:10 PM
See "waterjack" on page 13.

http://fishandboat.com/water/streams/habitat_improve_trout.pdf
Posted By: Zep Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 02:28 PM
"Water jacks should be located in an area with high stream banks, where the stream channel is narrow"

That's exactly what I have RAH...sounds like a neat idea...thanks.
Posted By: RAH Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 02:34 PM
I suspect most of the "digging" occurs during high-flow events.
Posted By: mattmonster1991 Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 05:31 PM
theres certaina reas of a creek where i just wana digg it out and make a bit wider to have some good catfish holes for flatheads to come bed or maybe dam uo a certain area possibly my uncle owns some land on a creek it also has like 4 big ox bow lakes but the creek part that we have on the property is only about 150 yards long then it goes under a bridge we like to stick bank poles in deep holes for catfish id like to try and find someone whos done this in the south
Posted By: Swiss Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH

OMG what a great Article!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing
Posted By: RAH Re: widening creeks - 09/14/16 11:25 PM
You are very welcome! I just love habitat restoration...
Posted By: PaPond Re: widening creeks - 11/16/16 10:19 PM
I have a stream which is my southern border but upstream about 1/2 mile it is entirely contained on a neighbor's property. He did something which I believe would work for you.

It is described here;

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/stream-pond-zmaz86mazgoe
© Pond Boss Forum