Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/14/16 07:48 PM
I went back on all my notes today and totaled my rainfall here in deep east Texas. As of June 19th 2016 Year to date we have gotten 53 and 1/4 inch in this first half of the year!!! Now it has been almost a month and not a single drop. Pond down about a foot as I write this. Anyone else keep good records on their rain? Just curious how we stacked up against the rest of the country.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/15/16 02:07 PM
I do, but with a Davis weather station. We have had about 1.2 inches of rain since mid-May. Getting kind of bad here! Crops look terrible.
Posted By: BrianL Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/15/16 02:55 PM
We got a little rain this morning! Been a LONG time since I saw a normal rain. Seems like this year, every time it has rained, is has been 4-6" at a time. It didn't rain enough to change pond level, but is has been dry since it stopped raining in June.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/15/16 03:04 PM
I use farmlogs.com but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/16/16 10:08 AM
Chris, I find no correlation between FarmLogs and my rain gauge.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/16/16 10:52 PM
Me either, doesn't even seem close
Posted By: Bill D. Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 07/17/16 02:08 AM
I made the mistake of installing two rain gauges and they never agree. Reminds me of the old story that a man with 1 watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches has no clue. I'm like the man with two watches.....need to whack a gauge!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/11/16 07:38 PM
Easy to do when there is nothing. Driest it has been here in 50 years!

Storms currently approaching my house at a snail's pace, probably because I left the windows open in the house.
Posted By: squeeky Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/12/16 09:54 PM
31.34" to date in NE Texas, but nothing measurable for the last two months - received a record 77.52" last year though.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/12/16 10:16 PM
I have been keeping good records for nearly a year, but many times it is off as much as 50% or more from the official weather station 9.1 miles west of here, especially in the warmer months. The official for August so far is 0.68" at the station, but 0.1" here.
Posted By: Shorty Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/12/16 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I made the mistake of installing two rain gauges and they never agree. Reminds me of the old story that a man with 1 watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches has no clue. I'm like the man with two watches.....need to whack a gauge!

I have two guages as well, we have had somewhere between 4.5" to 5.2" this month so far. I have noticed the harder the wind blows when it is raining, the bigger the discrepancy between the two guages. If you average the two we are at 4.85" so far, one could say that at the very least we have had 4.5", and at the very most 5.2" grin
Posted By: peachgrower Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/12/16 10:51 PM
John F, looks like you may be getting more very soon.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/13/16 03:55 AM
No, missed us. Only got a sprinkle, still dusty under the trees.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: anyone keeping rainfall records? - 08/13/16 11:21 AM
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Big storm moving through. It seems to split and go around our pond. I don't believe we received any.
However, for July and August we have been getting some rain. The rain gauge was full a few weeks ago, at 5" and we had received close to that in the two weeks prior to that.
The pond came up three feet. Just some slim chances for rain over the next 15 days though. I'm sure that will change. I'm still 14" from full. I'd like to get it full again, it's been since Jan 1.
© Pond Boss Forum