Pond Boss
Posted By: For the Family Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/16/16 07:33 PM
I am thinking about using utility poles for piers for a dock I am wanting to build. I am wanting longer poles so I can build a roof for a boat slip. I am concerned that the chemicals used to treat the poles for weather will contaminate the water. What does anyone else use for piers that are 20-25ft long?
Posted By: basslover Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/17/16 06:43 PM
Pilings - you can buy them treated with different chemicals.

http://www.gulfcoastpiling.com/wood-pilings.htm

http://www.americanpoleandtimber.com/poles-pilings/
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/17/16 08:00 PM
local utility or utility storehouse likely has old ones with most of the 'preservative' leached out already?
Posted By: esshup Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/20/16 12:55 PM
2" galvanized pipe. Still standing strong after 32 years.
Posted By: For the Family Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/21/16 02:03 AM
I am wanting to run from the ponds bottom up to support a roof for a boat slip for a plastic Pelican style boat. My ponds bank is currently exposed and I can pour concrete footers for whatever. How do I drive Galvanized pipe into the ground without being able to get above it? The pipe will be 15 - 20ft above the ponds bottom.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/21/16 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: For the Family
I am wanting to run from the ponds bottom up to support a roof for a boat slip for a plastic Pelican style boat. My ponds bank is currently exposed and I can pour concrete footers for whatever. How do I drive Galvanized pipe into the ground without being able to get above it? The pipe will be 15 - 20ft above the ponds bottom.

FWIW My dad was faced with the same problem many years ago when building our first dock. He used an excavator bucket to "push" the pilings into the lake bottom. In our case, it was telephone poles that had been modified to have a point on the downside end.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/21/16 01:32 PM
I used old utility poles and have had no problems. But how can one really tell without super sophisticated equipment. They were older, so that is probably better. The fish are around them all the time. Possibly pond size might matter to the ratio of bad chemicals(if there are any). My pond is a little over an acre.
Posted By: For the Family Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/21/16 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. I want the look of utility poles, but I want them to be secure and not have to replace them once the pond fills. I have yet to be able to find online anywhere that sells 25ft galvanized fence poles.
Posted By: esshup Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/22/16 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: For the Family
Thanks guys. I want the look of utility poles, but I want them to be secure and not have to replace them once the pond fills. I have yet to be able to find online anywhere that sells 25ft galvanized fence poles.

The galvanized fence poles are thinwall and aren't suitable for pond use. We used 2" galvanized PIPE, not fence poles or fence material. Talk to a local plumbing contractor supply house if you want pipe.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/22/16 02:21 PM
Galvanized water pipe comes in 21 foot joints. Galvanized RIGID conduit is the same thickness and comes in 10 foot joints. Two inch heavy wall pipe and rigid conduit are equally strong, and very heavy.
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/28/16 02:21 AM
In 1984,I built a dock using treated utility poles on my new 2+ acre pond. I made it in a "U" shape so my boat would be under roof when I docked it.They are still as strong and have never had a problem with any chemicals leaching out of the poles.

Go with the poles,you won't be sorry. You can trust a fellow Kentuckian to speak the truth. Some of these Texan pond owners one can't be too sure about!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/28/16 02:29 AM
Well said Bernie.
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/29/16 01:50 AM
Whoops, I didn't mean you Dave!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Piers for your dock-What to use - 06/29/16 10:10 AM
No sweat Bernie. In Texiz, BS could qualify as an Olympic sport.
© Pond Boss Forum