Pond Boss
Posted By: Kiko rock pile - what to do? - 01/16/13 02:17 PM
I have a 4' x 12' pile of NC mountain paver rocks from a backyard project gone bad. Any creative ideas on what to do with these other than dumping them into the pond? I bought the dang things! I dumped them there last Summer near the edge of the pond. Gonna collect all sorts of critters if I don't do something with them soon.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/16/13 07:20 PM
How about:

*building a small patio area next to your pond
*building a stone fireplace you can line with firebrick
*constructing a pair of laid up rock pillars at the entrance to your dock (if you have one)
*making a decorative rock wall somewhere around your pond
*sending them to Dwight to what creative use he can put them to! grin
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/16/13 08:32 PM
What's paver rocks? Like paver blocks?
Posted By: ewest Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/17/13 02:07 AM
You could use them as the boundary/retaining rocks for a sand beach at the pond. A rock path to the pond. As the base to set a gazebo on near the pond. A B'BQ pit near the pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/19/13 07:35 AM
Ship them to Todd for a snake habitat. grin
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ship them to Todd for a snake habitat. grin

You are a sick, sick man! I built a dang firewood rack that sits about 2 feet off the ground just to avoid the sort of harrowing experience my son and I had in late summer involving snakes. That's a story I still need to tell, but I don't have the pics here at home so it'll have to wait till I get a few open minutes at the office.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 01:56 AM
Snakes like to be up off the ground. smile
Posted By: fish n chips Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 01:59 AM
They really like the inside of kayaks.....
Posted By: sprkplug Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 02:08 AM
They like to curl up on dark material and bask in the sun also....like on a tractor seat that's been left unattended for an hour or so....... true story.
Posted By: RAH Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 02:16 AM
We had a friend that liked to use our kayak in our pond, but was really afraid of snakes. He once exited the kayak out in the water, but after that, checked the kayak out more carefully before getting in.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 09:34 AM
In a nearby lake I found I could catch all the 2 to 4 inch BG,PS, and RES that had been recently stocked by using a short 6 foot line tied to the end of a very flexible spinning rod, a tiny hook and a piece of worm. Dipping the line among the stacked shore rocks it was liking catching fish in a barrel. But it showed me that the small fish stayed in these rocks for protection so I put a dump truck of rocks at the edge of my pond trying to duplicate this.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/20/13 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Snakes like to be up off the ground. smile

Originally Posted By: fish n chips
They really like the inside of kayaks.....

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
They like to curl up on dark material and bask in the sun also....like on a tractor seat that's been left unattended for an hour or so....... true story.

Originally Posted By: RAH
We had a friend that liked to use our kayak in our pond, but was really afraid of snakes. He once exited the kayak out in the water, but after that, checked the kayak out more carefully before getting in.

Man! You guys are a harsh crowd! grin Just 'cause a guy isn't fond of snakes . . . sheesh! laugh
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:16 PM
Todd, true story here. A couple of years ago, a friend asked me to come and "analyze" the fish mixture in his pond. We sampled by starting to catch BG and log the results. After awhile, I switched to a larger hook and offered up some 3 to 4 inch BG. On the 4th attempt, a large brown water snake took the bait. Although they are non poisonous, I elected to sever it's head instead of practicing catch and release. It was one of the interesting fights I've had with a fishing pole.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:34 PM
Todd - over the last couple of years I've learned a lot about "classic conditioning", cognitive behavioral therapy, and overcoming fears. Come on over when it gets a little warmer, and the neighborhood boys (like Gary and Dwain) and I can collect a bunch of serpents to start conditioning you.
Posted By: Omaha Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Todd - over the last couple of years I've learned a lot about "classic conditioning", cognitive behavioral therapy, and overcoming fears. Come on over when it gets a little warmer, and the neighborhood boys (like Gary and Dwain) and I can collect a bunch of serpents to start conditioning you.

I bet Todd is all over this opportunity. laugh
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha

I bet Todd is all over this opportunity. laugh

Man, Josh, you are good! That is EXACTLY what was going through my head! grin
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:49 PM

I'm just gonna start calling you Esshup from now on! laugh
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: rock pile - what to do? - 01/21/13 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Todd, true story here. A couple of years ago, a friend asked me to come and "analyze" the fish mixture in his pond. We sampled by starting to catch BG and log the results. After awhile, I switched to a larger hook and offered up some 3 to 4 inch BG. On the 4th attempt, a large brown water snake took the bait. Although they are non poisonous, I elected to sever it's head instead of practicing catch and release. It was one of the interesting fights I've had with a fishing pole.

I snagged a water snake a couple of summers ago while fishing with my kids and some nieces and nephews up in Ohio. That sucker put up one heck of a fight. I let my brother-in-law take it off the hook after I had all the fun of catching it!
© Pond Boss Forum