Pond Boss
Posted By: Jamie friebel Well cost? - 08/13/12 10:45 PM
How Much i am i looking at spending to have well drilled I'n Wisconsin?i want to supplement the spring water that enters the pond now? Only at 300 gallons a hour it just isn't quite enough!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 01:49 AM
I can't tell you how much they charge in Wisconsin but I would get several estimates; the following explains why.

I had a well driller estimate 4 grand for my trout pond well and pump. The guy never showed up so I called another well driller. He said he was busy but had one day on his calendar and charged me only 2 grand!

My household well was put in by the guy that wanted 4 grand. The pump went out and my pond well driller told me the guy that put in that well went as cheap as possible on the pump. The pond well driller has been a really competent and honest person that took care of a couple of problems, such as a severed wire when a tree was planted or a severed wire from an animal. I'm glad the first guy never showed up.

Posted By: Jamie friebel Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 02:08 AM
Thanks Cecil, how much does it cost you a month to run pump?
Posted By: radman1420 Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 09:58 AM
I just drilled for water and ended up drilling in 3 different locations on my property. The best I hit was a gallon per minute. I had them goto 182' on the hole im using. I was charged $14. per foot drilling and $14 per foot casing. Thank goodness I hit limestone at 12' I only had to pay for 30' of casing! It sucks to think about spending 10k for 1 gallon per minute! Ball park price on just putting the pump in paying labor and materials is about $1500. You wont know until you hit water and then you will get your pump specifically for your well. How deep it has to push from ... how many gpm it can do etc.
Posted By: esshup Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 03:03 PM
If there are a few local well drillers, call them and ask around what the other wells in the area are producing gpm wise, what the water quality is like, and what they charge. A good driller that has been in the business for a while will have a good amount of subsurface aquafier data stored away between his ears.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Jamie friebel

The last time I ran it 24/7 through late spring, summer, and early fall it was about $100.00 per month. That was two years ago. I'm sure it's gone up a little as the power company is slowly increasing their rates. I did luck out on something though. If I had be on the other side of the highway my power bill would have been higher according to a friend the raises hybrid striped bass in an RAS system. It would have been a different power company.

If I didn't sell my trout I probably wouldn't pump the water. However they more than pay for the cost of the power, feed, and over time the initial cost of the well, well pump, and pond.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 03:53 PM
Cecil could you send them guys to Nebraska? I got estimates for a couple of wells for house/yard use last spring and they all came in at 10 to 12K.
Posted By: Bossone Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Cecil could you send them guys to Nebraska? I got estimates for a couple of wells for house/yard use last spring and they all came in at 10 to 12K.

i finally got my well finished about a month ago and it was in the same range 11-12k
Posted By: Omaha Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 05:42 PM

I should be getting quotes upcoming soon. I'll let you know what I find.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 06:33 PM

How deep are your wells? Mine is 88 feet with the well pump set about 20 feet below the static water level which is at 30 feet.
This is on the highest point of the property. Farther down where the household well is, the static water level is 16 feet.
Posted By: JKB Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 08:33 PM

I am expecting 10-12K for my well. That's with me purchasing pretty much everything and doing the electrical and plumbing. Driller is just going to poke a hole in the ground and do that end of it. The area will give up 200gpm if you go deep enough.

Posted By: Jamie friebel Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 10:02 PM
Right now i am at 260, the water is great! I wonder if i cld use same well and put I'n a larger pump for house and pond? I was told the pump i have I'n well now is undersized for my house, i would be needing a new one soon.
Posted By: chiroeye Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 10:25 PM
Do you guys think 40gpm will be sufficient for a "maintenence" well? You know, keep the pond at full pool during dry years like these?
Just got my first quote yesterday and they recommended 40gpm and the well will be about 140' and total cost at 10-12k. Sounds similar across the board compared with others.
Posted By: MattWI Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 11:58 PM
My well was 250 feet with a 60 gpm pump and my total was $11,900, including piping to pond.
Posted By: MattWI Re: Well cost? - 08/14/12 11:59 PM
Depending on where you are at in Wisconsin, you may want to contact Lovelace well drilling, they are near Madison, and out of all of my bids they were the cheapest per foot for drilling and casing, and do a nice job. They have done many dedicated wells for ponds.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Well cost? - 08/15/12 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: chiroeye
Do you guys think 40gpm will be sufficient for a "maintenence" well? You know, keep the pond at full pool during dry years like these?

Yes 40 gpm will work fine for that. I use a 45 gpm to fill three 100,000 gallon ponds after draining annually (takes only a couple full days) and it will fill my 1,000,000 gallon pond too if I drain it, which I will this fall.

So you should be good for topping off a pond during dry weather.
Posted By: esshup Re: Well cost? - 08/15/12 04:18 AM
It might be enough water, but it really depends on how well your pond is sealed.
Posted By: JKB Re: Well cost? - 08/15/12 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Jamie friebel

The last time I ran it 24/7 through late spring, summer, and early fall it was about $100.00 per month. That was two years ago. I'm sure it's gone up a little as the power company is slowly increasing their rates.

Based on my electric bill I just paid. My 1/2 HP Little Giant Mag Drive pump, running 24/7 for 31 days, would cost me $92.70 for that month.

Glad I am going the 3 phase route with all my pumps and motors. That would kick that pump's running cost down to under 20 bucks per month.

© Pond Boss Forum