Pond Boss
Posted By: bowjo My little dock pics.... - 06/01/10 03:56 PM
I built thi dock on barrels to get it started.I then drove the two poles near bank to stabilize it enough to get the rest drove in.We then raised it up and rested it on muffler clamps.I could now completley remove the barrels if I wanted to.The fish seem more secure with the barrels right above the water,so I will leave them for now.The dates on the pics are wrong.

Posted By: esshup Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/02/10 12:12 AM
Nice!!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/02/10 01:47 AM
Great looking dock, might as well leave the barrels on for redundancy.
Posted By: Brettski Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/02/10 02:15 AM
It is a nice package. Now you have a reason to raise the dam height.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/06/10 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Great looking dock, might as well leave the barrels on for redundancy.

The redundancy could be having to reset the entire dock, depending upon how you have it secured to the posts.
I believe by your description you have the muffler clamps on the posts so that in the event of high water the dock can still float up. If however the posts are secured to the dock,. sudden high water could cause the barrels to float, pushing the dock up and pulling the posts out of the ground.
Don't ask how I know this.
Posted By: bowjo Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/07/10 01:45 AM
The Dock can slide up with high water.I made collars out of larger pipe....Joe
Posted By: Bullhead Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/07/10 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: bowjo
The Dock can slide up with high water.I made collars out of larger pipe....Joe

You are much smarter than I.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/17/10 02:22 PM
Do you have more pictures of your pond? I am trying to compare it to the ones we have to make sure mine is not even smaller than I thought.

Thanks
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/17/10 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Do you have more pictures of your pond? I am trying to compare it to the ones we have to make sure mine is not even smaller than I thought.

Thanks

You'll never be able to judge the size of your pond by comparing pictures, so don't waste time trying that approach. This link is to a really cool site that does calculations of a given area and will give you a reasonably close figure for how big your pond is. You just need to find your place on the world map and then click to set reference points around it once you've zoomed in enough to see the whole pond. It does the calculations automatically.

Area Calculator
Posted By: bowjo Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/17/10 09:53 PM
Thanks Todd!That is a very cool link.My pond was just being dug when the photo was taken.I measured my yard,fields,foodplots and everything else around my house....Joe
Posted By: RAH Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/18/10 12:59 AM
OK. I tried my own solution to puting a floating dock at the end of a skinny gang plank. I built a fixed dock partly on the shore and connected it to a floating dock with a 3 ft gang plank. I kept it from roaming with two chains run diagnoly (mispelled) from th fixed dock to the floating dock. I used turnbuckles to tighten these chains (under the gang plank). After 5 years, I conclude it was a success.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: My little dock pics.... - 06/18/10 02:03 AM
Originally Posted By: bowjo
Thanks Todd!That is a very cool link.My pond was just being dug when the photo was taken.I measured my yard,fields,foodplots and everything else around my house....Joe

Yeah, I went a little crazy with it, too, when I first saw that link posted here several months ago! I think I checked out every house I ever lived in growing up along with tons of other stuff - it's pretty addicting!
© Pond Boss Forum