Pond Boss
Posted By: DrLuke Early ice fishing - 11/22/22 07:17 PM
Since our pond only has about 1/4 inch or less of ice on, I don't think we'll be trying any ice fishing for a few weeks yet. But this guy (great blue heron) was giving a try this morning. I guess it's less scary if you can just fly off...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Early ice fishing - 11/22/22 08:18 PM
Our neighbor's cat was out on the skim ice a few days ago attempting to sneak up on the widgeon feeding in the small hole of open water. We laughed as he made his way back to shore, seemingly oblivious to how he'd feel if he went through.

Our own cat fell through thin ice several years ago and rather easily clawed his way back up onto the ice sheet. He looked rather undignified as he dripped his way back to the house.

A GBH and some belted kingfishers have been surveying the pond lately. With ice on nearly all of it, they soon give up trying to catch dinner.

And, speaking of dinner, our trout have been actively feeding, darting out from under the ice sheet for Optimal pellets. Some pellets that ended up on the ice were grabbed, too. Some of the trout hit the underside of the skim ice, breaking holes and then slurping down the goods. One fellow threw himself up onto the ice sheet. For his sake it's a good thing he weighs several pounds, as he broke the ice and settled back into the water with his meal.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Early ice fishing - 11/22/22 09:53 PM
Those are some well-trained trout.

If you put a skillet on the ice with a few pellets of Optimal, will the trout jump right onto the skillet for you?
Posted By: CrazyCarl Re: Early ice fishing - 11/23/22 05:21 AM
Our cat was playing on the ice Sunday, chasing acorns like a fool. Tried it Monday, after it had warmed over night & got wet. Guarantee he'll be back out there when it refreezes. Little furball is a bit touched.
© Pond Boss Forum