Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Hummingbird query - 03/30/22 04:53 AM
To our delight, this past weekend the hummingbirds showed up at our place. As I sat on the deck & watched them feed, a large male ruby throated flew toward me, hovered a few feet away, then came closer, then closed to within 12 inches. Watched me intently, gave me a funny feeling it was learning more about me than the reverse. Didn't seem frightened, and I wasn't wearing anything red that resembled the feeder or flower. This happened twice in a couple of hours.

Anybody else seen this behavior? What does it mean? Could it have been fed by hand previously by other humans? Why only that hummer and not the others?
Posted By: esshup Re: Hummingbird query - 03/30/22 05:22 AM
He was trying to determine what eye to poke you in. Couldn't make up his mind so he flew off. LOL
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hummingbird query - 03/30/22 06:14 AM
So it was a high eye-Q bird. Good thing I wore glasses!
Posted By: RAH Re: Hummingbird query - 03/30/22 09:20 AM
Maybe his reflection in your glasses?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Hummingbird query - 03/30/22 12:11 PM
I've seen humming birds do this before.

I enjoy sitting near my feeders and watching the 'dogfights' that occur.

As someone once said... "I have a hummingbird that hums so loud, you'd think you were losing your mind."
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hummingbird query - 03/31/22 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by RAH
Maybe his reflection in your glasses?

At first I thought this was a joke, but on further reflection not so sure.

Seriously, I remember reading that if you want to feed hummers by hand, best to wear sunglasses so they don't get frightened by your eye movements. Just hadn't experienced that from a hummer before, at least, not when I had no nectar to offer.
Posted By: RAH Re: Hummingbird query - 03/31/22 10:10 AM
I have seen birds fighting with their reflection before.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Hummingbird query - 03/31/22 10:27 AM
I was putting in horseshoe pits at my old house one day. Never ever seen a hummingbird there before. I was clanking the steel rod and hammer together. They all of a sudden one of them didnt like it and attacked my hand. It flew off as fast as it flew in. Surprised the crap outta me.lol
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Hummingbird query - 03/31/22 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sunil
As someone once said... "I have a hummingbird that hums so loud, you'd think you were losing your mind."
I thought I had that going on once, but it was just my tinnitus.
© Pond Boss Forum