Pond Boss
Posted By: Tbar I Have A Poacher… - 10/23/21 01:22 PM
I just witnessed one of our resident Bald Eagles make two passes low over my surface feeding fish after the feeder went off. Two weeks ago he ate a floating dead bass that had swallowed one of my hooks.

I’m afraid he has my fishery pegged.
Posted By: esshup Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/23/21 02:54 PM
I have an Osprey and now a mature Bald Eagle showing up. I prefer them vs the Great Blue Heron.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/24/21 06:51 PM
We've had an Osprey the last three years. It's neat to watch.

We had a Bald Eagle for a Summer a few years ago, but he only seemed to eat stray cats.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
We've had an Osprey the last three years. It's neat to watch.

We had a Bald Eagle for a Summer a few years ago, but he only seemed to eat stray cats.

So the Eagle liked pu.... I can't
Posted By: anthropic Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 03:34 AM
Eagle liked... putting on a show. grin There, fixed it for you!

By the way, I'd like to buy an eagle trained to take out little yappy dogs that are kept outside all night.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic
Eagle liked... putting on a show. grin There, fixed it for you!

By the way, I'd like to buy an eagle trained to take out little yappy dogs that are kept outside all night.
Amen to the yapping! Nothing worse than having a close neighbor that has a barker that keeps you up at nite… moved to the country and got coyotes…. Least they don’t go at it all nite
Posted By: FishinRod Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 04:37 PM

That plan would definitely work.

You would need to "feed train" the eagle with yappy dogs for a few months first. (Does Texas Hunter make a feeder that throws Yorkies without jamming?)

After your eagles are properly trained, they would definitely be the top predator in your neighborhood "pond" culling the undesirable (loud) biomass. laugh
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 05:49 PM
Good Lord - here come the Purina Eagle Chow versus Optimal Yapping Yorkies arguments. crazy
Posted By: FishinRod Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 06:19 PM
All of the good pondmeisters on PB understand the importance of proper experimentation!

Snipe would probably be eminently qualified to run such an experiment. Good thing for all of the yap dogs that he is already tied up performing important feed experiments.

*** Disclaimer for the humor and common sense impaired.

No dogs were ever threatened in these posts. FishinRod is a well know idiot around these parts. He sometimes makes sarcastic comments in the forum - that is otherwise populated with competent experts for all matters that are pond related.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 06:23 PM
Good Lord - here come the Purina Eagle Chow versus Optimal Yapping Yorkies arguments. crazy

I can't help but notice Theo, that when you posted a picture of your good doggie, he/she is DEFINITELY NOT yapping. But instead looks quite intelligent and contemplative!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/25/21 09:22 PM
Border Collies - smarter than a chimpanzee, cuddlier than a newborn baby, more dedicated than Batman's valet.

Ours only yips to be let out to the bathroom, on weekends when we sleep in.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 12:09 AM
I wanna be the first person on my block to get some Purina Eagle Chow!!!
Posted By: Tbar Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Sunil

LOL
Posted By: highflyer Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 01:47 AM

How many bags do you need? Residential or commercial delivery?
Posted By: anthropic Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
I'll need six sacks. Saw my first eagle of the season today.
Posted By: gehajake Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 03:16 PM
Amen to the yapping! Nothing worse than having a close neighbor that has a barker that keeps you up at nite… moved to the country and got coyotes…. Least they don’t go at it all nite[/quote]

My little dogs are not yappers, ( I wouldn't own one), but they are varmint dogs and a coyote can get them going in the middle of the night something fierce, to the point where Ive had to go outside and shoot a shotgun up in the air to shut the coyotes up, and it will, you wont hear from them for a while.
I have had a pair of eagles at my pond a good bit in the past, I seen one swoop down and grab a fish but lost it in mid air before he made it back up to his perch, I dont mind them at all, in fact I love seeing them at the pond,, now BH not so much, I dont know why I let them get under my skin so bad, but I think its the fact that they will take a big fish and just kill him for fun doesnt help.
Posted By: highflyer Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/26/21 04:13 PM
I'll need six sacks. Saw my first eagle of the season today.

Do you need the 40 or 50 pound bags? And residential or commercial delivery?
Posted By: anthropic Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/27/21 04:33 AM
Border Collies - smarter than a chimpanzee, cuddlier than a newborn baby, more dedicated than Batman's valet.

Ours only yips to be let out to the bathroom, on weekends when we sleep in.

Saw working Border Collies in Wales. What a dog!

Do you find that they need a lot of exercise?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/27/21 12:44 PM
Oh, yeah.

Sunday she ran back and forth chasing the tractor as I spread 21 loads of manure* - about a 1200 yard round trip. She slept good Sunday night.

* - No, Sunil, I don't' just spread it here.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/27/21 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by highflyer

How many bags do you need? Residential or commercial delivery?

10 bags, residential!
Posted By: highflyer Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/27/21 11:25 PM
Sent!
Posted By: anthropic Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 04:28 AM
I just want to be sure this is the real thing made out of real eagles. Last shipment had a cormorant mixed in.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by highflyer
Sent!

I'm a bit concerned....
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 01:16 PM
[quote=anthropic]I just want to be sure this is the real thing made out of real eagles. Last shipment had a cormorant mixed in.[/quote

Darn if that’s just like buying fish off a fish truck
Posted By: gehajake Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
[quote=anthropic]I just want to be sure this is the real thing made out of real eagles. Last shipment had a cormorant mixed in.[/quote

Darn if that’s just like buying fish off a fish truck

There's bound to be a green sunfish or carp in the mix somewhere
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 03:48 PM
I've found myself looking at the sky a bit more.....just wondering what may be 'landing' since I ordered some Purina Eagle Chow.
Posted By: highflyer Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 07:30 PM
Once you start putting out the Eagle Chow, The sky is the limit!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/28/21 09:30 PM
I just want to be sure this is the real thing made out of real eagles. Last shipment had a cormorant mixed in.

Definitely DO NOT order any Girl Scout cookies from THAT supplier! laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: I Have A Poacher… - 10/29/21 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by FishinRod

That plan would definitely work.

You would need to "feed train" the eagle with yappy dogs for a few months first. (Does Texas Hunter make a feeder that throws Yorkies without jamming?)

After your eagles are properly trained, they would definitely be the top predator in your neighborhood "pond" culling the undesirable (loud) biomass. laugh

Only teacup chihuahuas.
Posted By: Tbar Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/22/21 05:58 PM
Another Eagle 🦅 was harassing the fish this morning. A young one. Seemed less experienced trying to hover 10’-15’ over the pond surface and dropping down.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/22/21 06:30 PM
Damn Eagle Chow!!!!
Posted By: highflyer Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/22/21 07:42 PM
Spiking your pond with Eagle Nip worked!!
Posted By: Tbar Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/29/21 03:04 PM
Scared him off the fish he was eating.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: FishinRod Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/29/21 04:20 PM
Great video, Tbar!

Good thing we don't still have pterodactyls - or you would be losing cattle in the same manner.
Posted By: RAH Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/29/21 04:28 PM
We have black vultures in southern Indiana which apparently prey on newborn calves.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/30/21 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by RAH
We have black vultures in southern Indiana which apparently prey on newborn calves.

Now that is unsettling.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/30/21 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by RAH

Very rare, but it happens here also. I've seen several instances this year where cows circle a new born calve, while the vultures try to get to the afterbirth.
Posted By: ewest Re: I Have A Poacher… - 11/30/21 03:57 PM
If given the opportunity they will go for the eyes.
© Pond Boss Forum