Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Stranger on the game-cam last night...Bucks - 09/15/21 02:24 PM
Anyone take a guess what this is on our game-cam last night?

No rings on tail like a coon.

Almost looks like an ant-eater...but they are not in Texas.

Anteaters in Texas
"Anteaters are not indigenous to the United States, so wildlife experts said this is probably someone's pet that escaped. Anteaters can survive in Texas; the only real concern is that they could outcompete other wildlife that eats the same kind of bugs"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://i.postimg.cc/QtpdLCgc/Game-Cam-Visitor-Sept-21.png

Bucks Fighting Last Week:

It looks like the camera may have "glitched" a little on that photo.

(For example, the tail doesn't look properly connected to the hindquarters. Also, it may not have correctly rendered the head and ears of the creature.)

IF the picture is accurate, then it looks like a coati - but I don't believe they are found that far north in Texas.

If the picture is not quite accurate, then I think it may be a gray fox but we are not seeing his pointy ears. Have you picked up foxes in past years?

If none of those are correct, then I think it is an extremely rare photo of a small chupacabra that is not yet old enough to fly. You don't happen to have any goats on your property, do you? laugh
Wolverine or badger???
P.S. That is a great photo of the bucks fighting!

What do you think was going on in the head of the buck in the forefront at the moment the photo was snapped?
I think Sunil's guess of "wolverine" is the closest to the shape of the animal in the photo, but they live WAY north of Texas.

However, who knows what exotic animals have been released in Texas?

The badgers on our farm (Kansas) always look much squatter than the animal in the photo, but their fur is usually hanging down, which accentuates the "squat" look. Do badgers shed their fur at the end of summer?

This is a fun puzzle! Did you get any more pics?
Originally Posted by Zep
Anyone take a guess what this is on our game-cam last night?

No rings on tail like a coon.

Almost looks like an ant-eater...but they are not in Texas.

Anteaters in Texas
"Anteaters are not indigenous to the United States, so wildlife experts said this is probably someone's pet that escaped. Anteaters can survive in Texas; the only real concern is that they could outcompete other wildlife that eats the same kind of bugs"

https://i.postimg.cc/QtpdLCgc/Game-Cam-Visitor-Sept-21.png

Bucks Fighting Last Week:

Zep anteater was the first impression I got from initial look. I saw the pix before seeing the editorial . That is cool with all the ants we have it would be welcome here
My guess was coatimundi too, but without the rings on the tail I have no idea. Legs way too short for an otter.

My guess on what the buck is thinking is "Those durn kids, when will they grow up and learn it's way too early?"
Not seen anything like that... We did have this visitor yesterday... Bobcat I believe... in broad daylight...
Yep! Bobcat it is!! Looks like it caught a squirrel.
With all the fire ants, I'd welcome anything that eats them. Except bigger fire ants.
Looks like a Rodent of Unusual Size, as you wish. It does look like an anteater though, or a badger. Badgers have been known to wander great distances though, and show up in some pretty unlikely places.
I didn't know that Zep lived in the Fire Swamp!

Hopefully, he has found ways to deal with the three primary dangers. grin
© Pond Boss Forum