Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Armadillo visit - 06/29/20 12:46 AM
Went out early this morning before the heat to pull some weeds out of a flowerbed and ran into this guy.

He looks like a youngin.

As usual they seem pretty oblivious to people, and only react when you get too close.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Armadillo visit - 07/01/20 01:55 AM
We saw 4 babies about a month ago. Hope the pigs don't get them.
Posted By: jim100 Re: Armadillo visit - 07/01/20 11:16 AM
Being from Michigan that is a crazy sight! Wow. When you say react do the run off or ?
Posted By: Jambi Re: Armadillo visit - 07/01/20 02:11 PM
They run off - pretty darn fast too!
Posted By: Flame Re: Armadillo visit - 07/01/20 11:36 PM
They are fun to chase and you can pick one up by the tail!!
Posted By: snrub Re: Armadillo visit - 03/27/21 03:52 AM
We see them too often in our area. Twenty years ago had to go quite a ways south to see any.

They are hole digging son of a guns. I would not want one burrowing into my pond dam.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Armadillo visit - 03/27/21 05:07 AM
Cute, but they are prone to depression & despair. One of them was tearing up my neighborhood gardens at night for about a week, then committed suicide by shooting himself. We know it was suicide because discharging a firearm is against the law in our area.

We figure it broke into a house, stole a gun, walked out to a garden, shot himself, returned the gun to the house, then went back to the garden where it expired. If somebody official asks for more details, I'm sure we'll manage to find a suicide note.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Armadillo visit - 03/27/21 10:53 AM
"depression & despair"...too funny Ant!...too funny.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Armadillo visit - 03/27/21 08:41 PM
In the early nineties I lived around Birmingham and you wouldn't see them till you traveled south of Birmingham, in the ten yrs I lived there you started to see them way north of there, then I moved back to central MO and the only time you would see them on the road is when you traveled to South MO, then later in yrs all the way to right at Jefferson City, then in the recent yrs they have made it across the river and you are seeing them in the Columbia area, a neighbor had them tear up his potted plants just up the road, couldn't figure out wth was doing it till he set up a camera.
I was hoping the cold snap we had mighta froze a good number of them but the destruction I seen at my neighbors this morning was very much looking like armordildo work,, looked like a thirty lb pig been rooting in the leaves all over the place.
© Pond Boss Forum