Pond Boss
Posted By: Pat Williamson Turtles dead - 06/15/19 03:54 AM
Has anyone had a bunch of turtles die around the pond? We have found 6 large red ear sliders dead in the woods near our pond,for no apparent reason. They were moving around on land laying eggs maybe a month ago.... not sure the sex of said turtles but find it odd that there was that many in a small area . We have a lot of coons..... anyone have an idea what happened
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Turtles dead - 06/15/19 12:05 PM
Never heard of such a thing. Predators take an adult turtle now and then but I've never seen more than one.

Any possibility a human was involved?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Turtles dead - 06/15/19 01:54 PM
As remote as we are it’s not likely that people are involved.... no damage to shells that would indicate them being shot
Posted By: RAH Re: Turtles dead - 06/15/19 01:56 PM
Disease? Maybe call DNR?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Turtles dead - 06/16/19 09:19 AM
Never heard of that
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Turtles dead - 06/16/19 12:57 PM
I knew dog once that played with a box turtle a little too much, but not 6 turtles.

I would call the local conservation office.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Turtles dead - 06/16/19 02:38 PM
Wondering if coons are getting them... we have a LOT of them..... if you leave deer feed in truck they will climb up and tear into it . Might be disease as RAH suggests
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Turtles dead - 06/16/19 03:08 PM
How large? How long were they dead? Around here you'll find mostly empty shells from winter/old age die offs - they're always the larger turtles and always in woods adjacent to bodies of water. If your sliders were getting up there in age it might just be natural causes. Do you have any younger sliders left in the pond?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Turtles dead - 06/16/19 05:04 PM
They are dinner plate size and shells looked in good shape.....still bunch in pond ....
© Pond Boss Forum