Pond Boss
Posted By: ShortCut Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 03:07 AM
1 year into my fish pond/swimming hole I'd like to see what everyone else is doing to multipurpose their BOW. Let's have some fun!
A. Feed the BG/HBG BEFORE swimming!
B. Place structure and habitat away from swimming area.
C. I have two large Labradors. Do they need a designated swimming area so as not to wreck BG beds?.
D....
Posted By: anthropic Re: Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 06:09 AM
D... Use pond water on plants you really like. They grow much better than with tap water!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 11:43 AM
I wouldn't worry about disturbing BG beds. They will start over.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 12:14 PM
I don't swim for recreation in ponds, but if I did...a ladder off the dock would be a must. This would solve having a beach area and totally avoid disturbing the banks.

Shortcut, if you can train your dogs to just swim in the "designated area, I'll be sending you my dog for some basics...like "come here" and "stay". lol
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 03:02 PM
We're working really hard this year at the multi-purpose portion.

Floating dock out in the middle and a ladder at the short gazebo prevents anyone having to wade in anywhere.

Judicious use of weed control ONLY in the swimming area seems to be keeping the bulk of the GSF/RES away, which lessens the nibbling of various body parts.

So far so good...
Posted By: BrianL Re: Swimming with the Fishes - 06/10/19 03:56 PM
My CNBG really nibble swimmers bad... Problem is I don't think the fish around the dock really go to feeder and nibblers seem to be the smaller 2-4" fish..
© Pond Boss Forum