Pond Boss
Posted By: Mike Whatley My new heron detureant - 04/08/19 10:35 PM
Gonna give this a try and hope it keeps the wading birds at bay.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Xc6X4ocKT9BRkda9[/img]
Posted By: RC51 Re: My new heron detureant - 05/07/19 02:47 PM
I been told they will kind of work more so if you move it around every once in a while and put it in different spots.
Posted By: roundy Re: My new heron detureant - 05/07/19 03:19 PM
with my luck something would try to mate with it.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: My new heron detureant - 05/07/19 04:02 PM
I've had it deployed now since this posting, and yes, I move it every couple of days. The little white cow birds still come around, but they just pick around the yard. Haven't seen another heron or stork since I put it out.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 11:50 AM
Might have to buy one myself. Can a GBH wipe out a tiny pond like ours? Just had one visit yesterday.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 11:53 AM
Ok just read some reviews and herons will figure out it's a decoy sooner or later. Will try fishing line.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: wannapond0001
Ok just read some reviews and herons will figure out it's a decoy sooner or later. Will try fishing line.

That may be so, but after a month on the pond, having been visited at least weekly previously, I havent seen the first wading bird on my pond. I move it almost daily so they dont get used to it being in the same place.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 01:26 PM
Could just be a coincidence. I haven't seen it today, yet. I have a wireless camera pointed at the pond.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: wannapond0001
Might have to buy one myself. Can a GBH wipe out a tiny pond like ours? Just had one visit yesterday.

I dont think GBH will wipe out our ponds, not like an otter would anyway, but they will target anything hanging close to the bank they think they can swallow. I've seen them actually fly off a dock and take a 10" crappie over deeper water like a pelican, tho.

Their main threat is to your shallow spawners, and if that happens to be one of those 10"+ BG you've invested time and money in, it can get pretty frustrating.
Posted By: gehajake Re: My new heron detureant - 05/15/19 05:00 PM
I can see my helpful neighbors blow that thing up, full of bullet holes. could be funny tho.
© Pond Boss Forum