Pond Boss
Posted By: Tbar First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 12/31/16 10:25 PM
First hunt with the new thermal. A little rusty the first time out but I hope to get better.

Shots were made from 200 yards off a fixed mount.

Lance, what brand thermal do you have? Kid down the road has a pair, and coyote hunts with them. Very cool technology indeed.

.223 or .308?
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 12/31/16 11:25 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Lance, what brand thermal do you have? Kid down the road has a pair, and coyote hunts with them. Very cool technology indeed.

.223 or .308?

IR Hunter Mark III 60mm

Shooting a 6.8 caliber with 115gn fmj.

The original video picture quality is much better than shown as I uploaded without the benefit of wifi.
Rock River Arms? I know they've made a 6.8 forever. Out there by themselves doing it too.

Thanks for the scope info. Now please don't answer any questions I may have about it. I still have chest pain from Googling it.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/01/17 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Rock River Arms? I know they've made a 6.8 forever. Out there by themselves doing it too.

Thanks for the scope info. Now please don't answer any questions I may have about it. I still have chest pain from Googling it.

I had the upper built by a company in California...Iron Works Tactical. http://www.ironworkstactical.com

Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/01/17 12:44 AM
This is a Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick camera mount with a LaRue quick disconnect rail adapter that LaRue made specifically for it. They are designed to mount on tripods.

https://www.manfrotto.us/horizontal-grip-action-ball-head-with-rc2-rapid-connect

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-picatinny-rail-adapter

I have a motion detector mounted to the feeder that sends a signal to a chime in the house. When it goes off I carry the gun to the back fence....lock in the quick connect and shoot.

Nice.

We just bought a ATN x sight 2. It is an infrared day/night scope. Works well to about 150-200 yards.
Lance,

Consider the next upper in 300 AC blackout. It is very quiet using subsonic heavy round. A "can" also helps if you want multiple shots before they scatter.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/01/17 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Lance,

Consider the next upper in 300 AC blackout. It is very quiet using subsonic heavy round. A "can" also helps if you want multiple shots before they scatter.

Brian I have spoken to several people that have that set up. They are very happy with them.
I like both setups, but the subsonic 300 Blackout offer a few more shots before the scatter.
What motion detector are you using?
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/02/17 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
What motion detector are you using?

It is a driveway monitor. Got it from Radio Shack but the model looks to have been discontinued. It has been in use 24/7/365 for over 2-1/2 years now and is still working(knock on wood). Distance I am working with is 750 feet.

On edit: It is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-Wirel...riveway+monitor
Thanks. That should work perfect. Our feeder is about 500 yards away from our cabin.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/03/17 12:19 AM
Ok, got home....edited and downloaded the video on the desktop. Its a little better quality. Listen for the thump as I hit the hog the second time.

Scope has a decent microphone.

With a silencer, you could eliminate an awful lot of them. Of course, at their breeding rate, they will quickly replenish
Posted By: BrianL Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/03/17 04:38 PM
That looks like fun. I have a LED solar security light on my feeder. I have one of the 2 lights pointed toward the house so I can tell when they are at the feeder. I have a couple cans I'm waiting on now. Hoping they should be approved in the next 30 days or so. Also fun to stalk up within about 20-30 yards with a 12 gauge and 00 shot when the wind is right. It can get exciting in a hurry!
shocked
That Thermal on the other hand is very VERY cool!!!
Originally Posted By: BrianL
That looks like fun. I have a LED solar security light on my feeder. I have one of the 2 lights pointed toward the house so I can tell when they are at the feeder. I have a couple cans I'm waiting on now. Hoping they should be approved in the next 30 days or so. Also fun to stalk up within about 20-30 yards with a 12 gauge and 00 shot when the wind is right. It can get exciting in a hurry!

BrianL, since I like spending other people's money, SilencerCo has a 12 gauge suppressor. Just sayin'.
TBAR, does that motion detector have to be direct line of sight? I've recently had a break in(lock on gate cut) but nothing lost yet. But there is a hill and trees between my gate and house.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/04/17 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
TBAR, does that motion detector have to be direct line of sight? I've recently had a break in(lock on gate cut) but nothing lost yet. But there is a hill and trees between my gate and house.

Dave, pretty sure these need to be line of sight. Maybe one of those game cams that text you pictures would work???
That's probably in the game plan. I have installed 4 no flash ones but I don't recognize my self over 10 ft. About to put up some motion detector lights to help the cams at the house. Essentially, this is driving me nuts. I want somebodys butt in jail. Wife nixed the idea of trip wire and shotgun.
People go in and out of my remote rural property all the time (I see tire tracks), but no one has ever broken into the cabin or outbuilding. They have been there 10.5 years. I think they are just spot lighters or ATV joyriders.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/04/17 08:05 PM
That's probably in the game plan. I have installed 4 no flash ones but I don't recognize my self over 10 ft. About to put up some motion detector lights to help the cams at the house. Essentially, this is driving me nuts. I want somebodys butt in jail. Wife nixed the idea of trip wire and shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwsJG_dvwc
Dang, I just watched 4 booby trap videos.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/04/17 11:49 PM
Dang, I just watched 4 booby trap videos.

Not really booby traps.....more like harmless early warning devices that can alert you and or scare perps away. cool
Yeah, but it's a small step to; Well, never mind.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/30/17 01:16 AM
6.8 plants another one at 200 yards.

Posted By: BrianL Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/30/17 05:32 PM
How accurate are the scopes? Do they keep there POI pretty good?
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 01/30/17 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BrianL
How accurate are the scopes? Do they keep there POI pretty good?

This one is doing pretty good for me.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 02/04/17 04:26 PM
Wacking and stacking......the 6.8SPC claims two more that came in at 6:30am this morning. Perfect shoulder shots.

You are kilin it! - literally!
Posted By: Flame Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 02/04/17 11:05 PM
Dave , I have the "original driveway alert" and have used it for about 3 years. Their "heavy duty" one will go around a building and does not have to be direct line like most. I have been very pleased with mine. Bought it specifically because I have buildings in the way.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 05/17/17 01:15 PM
They are baaaack.....two nights in a row the motion detector on the feeder went off.

First kill was at 200 yards.....the buzzards had totally consumed it buy 8:30am the next morning.

Second kill I had to stalk as the cows were directly in the way. The up side was they gave me cover to close in to 60 yards. Battery was dead on the MDVR so no video.....Arrrggg!!!

I am really enjoying this thermal scope.

Tbar,
Is that a piston system or gas system?

The reason I ask is there is a lot of movement after the first shot and I think that recoil could be greatly reduced. Also, if I do the math right, your lead on the second shot ( the mover) was not enough. I would be glad to offer some suggestions if you think it would help your efforts.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 05/17/17 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Tbar,
Is that a piston system or gas system?

The reason I ask is there is a lot of movement after the first shot and I think that recoil could be greatly reduced. Also, if I do the math right, your lead on the second shot ( the mover) was not enough. I would be glad to offer some suggestions if you think it would help your efforts.

This is a gas system. I might do piston someday. Two factors involved with the perceived recoil. 1) I was relying on the mount for support.....wasn't braced and 2) I had the scope at a high magnification.

If you are referring to the video dated 01/29/17 I indeed missed that one. On the run and in this case closing distance to 150 yards quartering to me.

I hit the 2nd moving target in the 02/04/17 post. Don't know what I did different.

If you have suggestions......shoot. I am all ears.

FWIW.....these are stock off the shelf 115gn FMJ's. I am reloading the cases with Horaday 120gn SST's but have not brought them on line for hunting yet.

Posted By: ewest Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 05/17/17 03:27 PM
Nice work. Are you processing the meat ?
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 05/17/17 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest

I have processed some small ones in the past but did not process this one.
I WANT ONE!!!!!!
Originally Posted By: Tbar
Originally Posted By: ewest

I have processed some small ones in the past but did not process this one.

Feral hogs are a lot of work hand butchering for a small amount of meat in general, at least for the ones I did. About 3 years ago when I had a lot of hogs to deal with, I ended up using ..... a Sawz-all from DeWalt after gutting to pull the head/neck off and splitting both hams/shoulders leaving the thin back alone. After a while, I stopped doing that and they just became Coyote bait as I had more than enough in the freezer. Pork chops were also very cheap at the local grocery store.

Little piglets in a smoker are a different story if I tag some today. They are also easier to work with though, unfortunately are a bit hard to find where I live as I think they stay back in trees until adults.

I also used some 'donors' to practice salt curing meat. That was a fun exercise and made skinning out a sow worth the effort.

A front end loader on a tractor and a good knife with lots of practice make skinning out a feral hog a lot easier so, if you are new to it don't give up on the first few. I found the bristles were very hard on the knife I used initially and my cuts were not very good. With a little anatomy knowledge from earlier butchering 'attempts', things got better pretty quick until the point I opted for the Sawz-all for choice cuts FAST butchering (though I was getting double digits a week and as many as 7 hogs in one night).

After using a 5.56 and a 6.8SPC, I must say I am a huge convert to 6.8SPC for feral hogs and coyotes. 6.8's will put them down when a 5.56 won't due to less than ideal shot placement. blush Sometimes, my aim is not the best so I can use all the help the ammo company can provide at times.

The other word of warning with night shooting and thermals. A lot of the more 'affordable' units don't have the best resolution and clarity of the image you are viewing. For me, deer are the worst or more specifically the fawns. Horses and cattle are easy to identify due to body shape, stature and, movement while grazing. If adult deer are grazing, looking at fawns in the grass is tricky. At ~100~200 yards, a fawn hiding in the grass is indistinguishable from a piglet that isn't moving. If you see a lot of deer and see the faint 'piglet' looking images, observe them closely! Last year I hit the Lotto Jackpot one night when I counted 27 adult deer in the thermal scope. That night the fawns really looked like a litter of piglets in the grass initially. It is easy to overlook the details and falsely identify a fawn if you don't have 3rd gen Night Vision to interrogate the thermal image. Behavior and body movement are important if all you have is a thermal image of average quality.

A final word of consideration. If like me, you shoot hogs all night on your property, your neighbors are not going to be happy if they are big city transplants for the weekend. Even if they aren't nervous hearing rifle fire during the day, random rifle fire all night can be upsetting. A suppressor really helps alleviate complaints from neighbors.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 05/18/17 04:40 AM
I second using a can. That will probably allow you to get at least one more shot off before they turn on the afterburners.

I'd give them about another foot to 18" lead at 200 yds when they are running hard and see what happens. Keep the muzzle swinging as you squeeze the trigger. Stopping the gun equates to shooting behind them.
Originally Posted By: esshup
I second using a can. That will probably allow you to get at least one more shot off before they turn on the afterburners.

I'd give them about another foot to 18" lead at 200 yds when they are running hard and see what happens. Keep the muzzle swinging as you squeeze the trigger. Stopping the gun equates to shooting behind them.

Where I shoot, without a suppressor they run away from me. With a suppressor they all run random directions because they hear the bullet impact more than the muzzle blast and wonder where it came from.

With some running full tilt left, some full tilt right, some at me and, some away the challenge is different but, I also have more time to take more shots since they don't all hit cover or get out of range (or in front of a bad backstop like cattle in the next pasture, a house, or public road, or ...) at the same time.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 06/15/17 02:14 PM
Last night the pig alarm went off. Went out and there were probably 30+. Had to stalk out to them because the cows were in the way. Only got one but did get a video that I will upload this weekend. Still shooting 115gn FMJ's.

Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 06/16/17 09:31 PM
This is a poor quality video.......I had way too much contrast. Next time I will make adjustments before I hunt. I attempted to get a pass through two for one on the first shot but no luck. Listening to the sound on the video I think I hit the pig on the last shot.

Posted By: djnks Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 06/16/17 10:02 PM
Wow, that is a bunch of hogs, good luck thinning them out some. I'm guessing the cows didn't like the shooting to much. Thanks for posting, I have enjoyed keeping up with your exploits.
Posted By: esshup Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 07/15/17 04:49 PM
Jeez O Pete! You raising cattle or hogs???
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 07/15/17 11:37 PM
Tbar how far?
Scott, in Texas, a lot of us are raising hogs.
Yes we are!
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 07/16/17 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Tbar how far?

???

If you are refering to that last video I stalked to about 85 yards.

The other videos shots were taken from a fixed position at 200 yards.
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 09/02/17 08:36 PM
I let a friend shoot my rifle the other night and he went two for two.

Fixed turret mount on the pipe fence behind the house.
18" IWT 6.8SPC
IR Hunter Mk III 60htz Thermal
Federal 115gn FMJ ammo
200-225 yards

First hog is ~ 180#'s
Second hog is ~ 80#'s

Posted By: esshup Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 09/07/17 09:42 AM
With the flooding going on around Houston, how soon will the hogs come back once the waters recede?
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 09/07/17 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
With the flooding going on around Houston, how soon will the hogs come back once the waters recede?

I'm not an expert but I would think if they left they would return asap to take advantage of the food source(worms, grubs, bugs driven to the surface).
Posted By: Tbar Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 02/13/18 11:29 PM
Shot two more from my fixed turret mount on the back fence last night 200 yards from the feeder.

First shot and the big one dropped where he stood. Caught the second one on the run which is a rare occurrence for me.

No video this time.....my MDVR quite before the shooting.

My old pizz hound checking out the kill.

Posted By: RAH Re: First Hunt With The New Thermal......... - 02/13/18 11:52 PM
You must have a big freezer!
good going Tbar! Shoot 'em all!
It is really satisfying to take out a double like that, isn't it?
On occasion, I have two, or even more, gobblers come in to the call in spring. I take one out, and have to sit with a loaded gun until the other(s) leave. How would it be to take "a left and a right", as they say in Britain!?
We bought a Pulsar XP50 a few months ago. It is a lot of fun hunting with Thermals.
© Pond Boss Forum