Pond Boss
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/02/16 11:22 PM
Amazing how a heron can swallow a fairly large catfish.
Catfishing Heron
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/02/16 11:47 PM
It looks like a black bullhead catfish to me.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 11:00 AM
I wouldn't have though it could.
Posted By: Flame Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 11:09 AM
It says "gray" heron. Is that the same as a gbh? Can a gbh eat one that size? I have a gbh on the pond every single day.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 11:28 AM
Right now I have one of those at the pond every morning along with about 6 of the big white ones. They take off as soon as they hear me coming. Natures fisherman, I look for them when fishing the lakes curtain times of the year because they can lead to some good fishing areas, but I hate them on my pond. Dam birds!!

Tracy
Posted By: Zep Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I hate them on my pond. Dam birds!!

me2 Tracy...I know someone stated awhile back..."well they gotta eat too" or something like that....but I still hate 'em....feel violated when I see them eating "my children" in my pond.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 01:58 PM
Pretty neat video! I've seen a GBH eat an 8" to 9" BG. A few years ago I found a dead 14" SMB that had been jabbed in the back of the head by a GBH.
Posted By: snrub Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/03/16 06:39 PM
Speaking of birds and fish, I observed something interesting yesterday. As I was feeding, scared up a Green Heron that thinks he is a resident (it squawks at me sometimes in defiance when I disturb it). He took off flying and at about 60 feet into his flight he dropped a 3" BG into the water.

What makes this interesting to me is, had he been another 75 feet down the bank of my main pond when he started the flight, when he dropped the BG it would have went into my sediment pond instead of back in my main pond.

Makes me think of the fish farms I see with pond after pond separated only by dams. And how strange things can happen sometimes in our ponds or from the stocking fish we buy.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Gray heron's catfish dinner - 09/06/16 12:58 PM
Tracy, gray heron not as large as GBH.

I'm not surprised that that gray was able to eat that fish but am surprised at how easily it did!
© Pond Boss Forum