Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/02/13 06:24 PM
At least not smack dab in the middle of the city! Woke up to this out my window Friday morning. My sister in law saw it first and about freaked out!! smile

This could be one of those "You Know Your a Redneck When" moments!! Granted he wasn't doing anything wrong but right down town North Little Rock.... He skinned it and all right there on the tree!! Course being a hunter myself it wasn't to big of a deal but some stuff should just be left for deer camp or out in the country at least!! LOL!!

Attached picture Buck just hanging around.jpg
Posted By: lassig Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/02/13 06:38 PM
I always joked about doing this in Naperville, right in the front yard ( police chief lived across the street). But never did, always did it in the garage with the door closed. There just isn't enough time at camp to always get this done. Plus the "city" folks could use a little education as to where meat comes from.
Some folks just lack class. You'd never catch me w/deer hanging in my yard. Now the garage is another story. It's also interesting on trash day after deer season.
Posted By: ewest Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/02/13 07:16 PM
I would settle for the jerks in our area not throwing the carcass by our gates !
Posted By: RC51 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/02/13 08:13 PM
Yeah I would have maybe been a little more upset if my boys were like 2 or 3! That would have been quite tramatic at a younger age I think.

I heard some yelling over there that night as well. I bet his wife was pretty upset about him doing that! I was wondering what was going on over there now I think I know!! Like I said nothing against it really but a little more less obvious would have been nice!

RC
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/02/13 08:54 PM
When I lived in the city (of 250k), it wasn't unusual to see them hanging in my neighbors tree (in the backyard). He would always bring them home to dress 'em.

My son (about 8 at the time) and I thought it was pretty cool and a good learning experience for both of us, and he was always respectful enough to keep the area clean after dressing it. I had lived there for 20 years and I was the "new guy", so it also helps when you have a tight-knit neighborhood. Plus, as I was the guy with the ATV with a snow-plow and cleared the neighborhood walks and most driveways, I was never in a shortage of sausage, jerky, homemade jams, etc., especially from the people who lived on corner lots!

A little courtesy can go a long way!
Posted By: JKB Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/03/13 12:39 AM
Turkeys get quite active when ya whack their head off wink

Not uncommon to see a deer or two hanging, but most put them in a garage and close it up so the critters don't think they hit the jackpot shocked
Posted By: drumz2129 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/03/13 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Yeah I would have maybe been a little more upset if my boys were like 2 or 3! That would have been quite tramatic at a younger age I think.

A few months back I shot a couple feral hogs at the house and my older two girls (2 and 4 years old) were so interested in it and wanted to help clean them. I think my wife has a picture of them each holding a leg while I skinned it.

Every time my oldest daughter would see the last butcher calf we fed out she would ask "can we eat it yet?". They definitely know where the meat comes from.
Some people just want to show off.
Posted By: esshup Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/04/13 08:40 PM
As a young kid, they aren't tramautized unless their parents make a big deal out of it. Kids are curious, and should learn!
Did a fish for a guy that wasn't allowed to hang any mounts anywhere in the house (had to be in the garage) and his wife and daughter let him know in no uncertain terms they thought mounting animals (including a beautiful strutting turkey in a glass case that was done by another taxidermist) was despicable. To me the word henpecked comes to mind and the following magazine cover epitomizes my thoughts.

On the other hand back when I did gameheads (specialize in fish now) I had a newly married couple tell me they were going to hang the deerhead over the bed. crazy
Posted By: JKB Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/05/13 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: drumz2129

A few months back I shot a couple feral hogs at the house and my older two girls (2 and 4 years old) were so interested in it and wanted to help clean them. I think my wife has a picture of them each holding a leg while I skinned it.

Every time my oldest daughter would see the last butcher calf we fed out she would ask "can we eat it yet?". They definitely know where the meat comes from.

+1 wink
Originally Posted By: drumz2129

My sister's got attached to the steers we raised. All I had to do is tell them that Frank and Missy were now on the dinner plate and I would have extra steak!
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
My sister's got attached to the steers we raised. All I had to do is tell them that Frank and Missy were now on the dinner plate and I would have extra steak!
As if castration isn't humiliating enough for a young bull, ya'll had to go and name him Missy. eek

I'll bet, he was the laughingstock of the barnyard. (pun intended)
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/05/13 07:34 PM
Did a fish for a guy that wasn't allowed to hang any mounts anywhere in the house (had to be in the garage) and his wife and daughter let him know in no uncertain terms they thought mounting animals (including a beautiful strutting turkey in a glass case that was done by another taxidermist) was despicable. To me the word henpecked comes to mind and the following magazine cover epitomizes my thoughts.

That's just dang funny right there! Good one!
Posted By: RAH Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/05/13 08:06 PM
Doesn't meat come from the store? I saw Bambi and hunters are bad men! A female coworker once kidded me about shooting Bambi's dad when I had fresh antlers in my office. I replied "right you are and tonight I am after his mother and Bambi too!" She did laugh.
Posted By: drumz2129 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/05/13 11:34 PM
We name them as I did growing up, "Meatinthepot"
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 01:01 AM
At least not smack dab in the middle of the city! Woke up to this out my window Friday morning. My sister in law saw it first and about freaked out!! smile

This could be one of those "You Know Your a Redneck When" moments!! Granted he wasn't doing anything wrong but right down town North Little Rock.... He skinned it and all right there on the tree!! Course being a hunter myself it wasn't to big of a deal but some stuff should just be left for deer camp or out in the country at least!! LOL!!

Just saw this for the first time, RC! Too funny! You should have told you SIL that city deer suffer from complexes that their country cousins don't and suicide by hanging like this guy is not uncommon!
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 01:44 AM
My wife would go nuts if she saw that and where she comes from it isnt uncommon to see them slaughter a pig across the street from our apartment for the holidays.As for me if it wasnt a habit I'd give the guy a pass.If it was all the time though I'd politely strike up a conversation and try and drop in the wife is going bonkers bit.Offer him a hand and see if there was a little extra left laugh
Speaking of cattle we had up to there steers in the barn growing up. One night I was hunting nightcrawlers with a flashlight and thought I heard something behind me. To my surprise three steers were following me in single file!
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

Glad you liked it. I posted it here once before. Sadly I have run into guys that are almost as xxxxx whipped as the magazine cover. One friend I know has to ask his wife for permission to do anything. Never mind he is a millionaire and it came from his side of the family.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 02:18 AM
My favorite was right after I graduated from college I lived in an apartment and had no where to butcher my deer I shot. I took it to my parent's house which backed to a golf course. There I was skinning the deer that was hanging from the back deck. Two golf carts come down the path right behind my parent's house full of Korean guys. The first 2 golfers in the first cart didn't see me and stopped to get out and put. The second 2 guys in the second cart did see me. The driver of the golf cart was so busy staring at me skinning my deer out, he slammed right into the rear of the first golf cart.
Posted By: esshup Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 02:48 PM
I hung a buck in the tree right outside my dorm in college. More people wanted to know more about where and when I got it than didn't like it. Maybe becaues it was a school that was known for it's natural resources classes??
Same here Scott. We had guys harvesting bucks and we butchered them right out side the dorm in Alpena, Michigan. Nobody had a problem with it. But many of us were fisheries and forestry majors too.
Posted By: lassig Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 06:14 PM
Think of the stink that would cause today, let alone that fact that meant you had a gun on campus. I had a shotgun in my truck every fall day when I was in high school since I went duck hunting many days after school, it would be a huge problem if you did that today.
We had room for guns for hunting and it was just a matter of signing them out with our resident advisor. I'm sure that wouldn't happen today. Amazing how the actions of a few ruin it for everyone else. Also ironic how the law abiding people are ones that get hurt by regulations and it doesn't do squat to stop the bad people.

I probably posted this here before but deer hunting is very common here in Indiana. Anyway, two high schoolers at the local high school went deer hunting just before they got to school in the morning and weren't thinking and left their shotguns in the pick up truck. Unfortunately some idiot politicians here got it into their minds there would be a no tolerance rule and the penalty was to expell them for a year and they wouldn't be able to graduate with their class. Yeah they broke the rules but apparently the politicians decided nobody locally was smart enough to deal with it and make an intelligent judgement.

Another fine example of punishing good people due to the actions of bad people. Any moron knows if a bad or mentally ill person wanted to get a gun on campus to harm someone a no tolerance rule won't stop them.

Btw I go in and out of several high schools to set up and work on some fish recirculating systems i dontated to their ag department. The security they have would only slow down a few seconds any dertermined person to breach the school. Not saying it has to be Fort Knox, or we even want that, but if you listen to our politicians they think it is. Basically just window dressing IMHO, although I have the highest respect for those that are doing the best job they can to keep or kids safe.

If you can't tell I'm not a big believer in no tolerance rules.
Posted By: RAH Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 08:51 PM
It allows those in charge to have no common sense, or rather, it lets those with no common sense get to be in charge. Not sure where in the world there is that is left to go?
If I had known 30 years ago what my profession would come to, I'd have never committed to it--especially in this corrupt state. We are drilled a couple times a year on lockdown procedures. Last year, law enforcement brought in various weapons and fired blanks throughout the buiding so we could identify what an invasion might actually sound like. There is serious talk on arming principals and even teachers (that's real scary). There is nothing discussed on our subjects anymore--just meth manufacture, bullying, synthetic marijuana, bath salts, huffing, and sexting. I remember when students brought guns to school for demonstration speeches on how to clean them. While there has only been one murder in my town's 180 year history, we are subjected to the strictest laws in the nation. Funny how the tough Chicago gun laws did nothing for its 750 murder victims last year.
Posted By: RAH Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/06/13 09:20 PM
Well a new year is just around the corner. We need to focus on the positive and what we can do to move in the right direction. I have two wonderful kids (young adults) that I am proud to say have their heads screwed on right. Sometimes the pendulum swings back.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/07/13 01:10 AM
I have nothing to say that won't get moderated so I won't say it...
Posted By: JKB Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/07/13 01:20 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

wink +1

That never stopped me. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/07/13 02:42 AM

That never stopped me. grin

Any pics on the school rigs from the past few years? May have missed them, like if I died a few years ago and now am a ghost.
Not really an education, but something messed up beyond repair.
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/07/13 03:21 AM
I would've been expelled from school more times than I can count. We would bring our bows and guns with us to school on Friday since our hunting cabin was only an hour away and we wanted to get up there after the football game... And I haven't really been out of school all that long.

Our society is getting very soft, hard to tell what my kids are going to go thru...
Originally Posted By: JKB

Not really an education, but something messed up beyond repair.

???
Me too Travis
Posted By: RAH Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/07/13 01:40 PM
Just need to carry concealed. I know this is not a political site, but we need some candidates that focus on issues that the constitution gives then the right to deal with. Our current federal situation is a result of no good choices. Nobody looks to DC for moral guidance, so the candidates should not waste time with this until they build some credibility. Hopefully I did not step over the moderation line!
Posted By: ewest Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 03:03 AM
A few years back we had a local school that almost became worse than Sandy Hook (2 shooters and explosives). The reason it did not is one of the teachers got his pistol and took care of the situation.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 11:30 AM
ewest, we will never hear about that one on MSM.
We had a crazy guy taken out with a police swat/sniper a couple of years ago in the nearby small town and it never made the MSM. He shot at a local cop for no reason and they frown on that. LOL. Turns out the guy had enough ammo and guns in his house for a one man Army.
Posted By: Bing Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 01:17 PM
Turns out the guy had enough ammo and guns in his house for a one man Army.
Lots of "us" have enough ammo and guns in our house to make the news. This really isn't a bad thing. Saying I have a brick of .22 bullets sounds reasonable, but when reported as "they found 500 rounds of shells in his house" some read it as an arsenal.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
Lots of "us" have enough ammo and guns in our house to make the news. This really isn't a bad thing. Saying I have a brick of .22 bullets sounds reasonable, but when reported as "they found 500 rounds of shells in his house" some read it as an arsenal.

Bing, that's very true. My wife and I, along with my son and girlfriend, like to target shoot our pistols at the farm and that can easily burn up 300 rounds. We decided a long time ago that any family member that picked up a firearm would be completely comfortable and safe with that firearm. A 50 round box of 9mm in the closet won't accomplish that.
Posted By: RC51 Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 02:03 PM
Give me a break some of these doomsday prepers have a fricken war room. 12,000 plus rounds of ammo and more guns than you can shake a stick at.

500 rounds is nothing! Specially when your talking 22 cal.

What is sad is that a lot of these school shootings are from kids that snapped from other kids bullying them to the point of them snapping and going crazy!

Of course there are other reasons too, but bottom line is kids can be VERY ugly and mean to each other and could care less how the other kid feels!! That's been going on for years and years! Sad thing is we are teachers and adults have let it go on and on and on! And now you have what you have! One big mess.

RC
Posted By: esshup Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 03:18 PM
RC, even 12,000 isn't much. I had a .22lr built to specifically shoot the Aguilar 60g sub-sonic bullets. I use it for long range practice instead of the much more expensive .308 that I have or the even more stratospherically expensive 7mm Allen Magnum that I have. Shoothing those slow moving 60g bullets at 100 to 200 yds really makes you pay attention to the wind.

Midway USA had a sale on them a few years ago, before all the gun/ammo scares happened. They had 7,000 rounds of the same lot number, and I bought them all. If I sold them now I could easily get 5 or 6 imes as much as I paid for them, but I prefer to shoot them myself. grin

Then you have regular .22lr ammo and components for the rest of the calibers that I reload for. I could easily fit into the newsworthy "militia man" that you see occasionally in the news. The only thing different about me is that the firearms are not kept in the house here, or even on the property, so you'd see a report about a "wacko" with a lot of ammo but no guns to shoot it in. laugh
Posted By: dlowrance Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 04:47 PM
Having spent the majority of my life in the country I guess I can't say what's normal or not normal in a suburban area...but most places I've lived if I was to see the pic attached in the initial post I'd wander over to see the kill and offer to help. Last weekend I had 3 hanging up outside off of a gantry I built specifically for that purpose. My neighbor promptly jumped on his ATV and rode over to shoot the breeze about hunting prospects.

When I was in school 20 years ago it was VERY common for us boys (and some girls) to have firearms in our trucks...in cases, unloaded, but still. We'd head for the fields/woods after school and/or come straight to school in the morning from the timber.

My son and daughter will not be able to experience that, even though the size of school they go to isn't much bigger than the one I graduated from. Unfortunately the 'public opinion' and issues that have nothing to do with me or people that live where I do still prevail and cause laws/rules to be implemented that have no reason to exist here. It's a sad state of affairs but I can't see a resolution to it.
I have more ammo in my house than you do! My dad can beat your dad up! My gun is bigger than yours!

Sorry guys couldn't resist. grin

Seriously I don't care how much ammo and guns you have in your house, but if you're crazy and start shooting at cops you've got a problem.

The cop that was shot at is a good customer and has five kids. Really great guy. He would have been sorely missed.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

Glad you liked it. I posted it here once before. Sadly I have run into guys that are almost as xxxxx whipped as the magazine cover. One friend I know has to ask his wife for permission to do anything. Never mind he is a millionaire and it came from his side of the family.
What was that Beatles song? Money can't buy ya love
Posted By: John Wann Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/10/13 08:16 PM
Lol. I can't say anything nice besides if the people don't want to see a deer hanging in your yard look the other direction. If the temp is right outside its nice to let the deer age for a few days. Meat is more tender and flavorful.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/11/13 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Just need to carry concealed. I know this is not a political site, but we need some candidates that focus on issues that the constitution gives then the right to deal with. Our current federal situation is a result of no good choices. Nobody looks to DC for moral guidance, so the candidates should not waste time with this until they build some credibility. Hopefully I did not step over the moderation line!

It is mind boggling to me that a highly advanced country still uses a 220 year old document as a current/present excuse for the death of their children.

What truly makes a great nation is its ability to change for the better of humanity.

I wholeheartedly apologizes if my comments offend. This is from someone on the outside looking in.

Don.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/11/13 01:22 PM
No offense taken by me. I find that oftentimes, those looking in from the outside find their view obscured by the frost that forms on the glass, thereby distorting the real picture.

Probably due to the extreme temperature differences found between the two environments. You know what they say though....once you get used to the cold, it really doesn't feel that bad. Perhaps that is the truth after all. I'm not ready to put it to the test just yet, however.

And that my friends, is my first, and last, comment on this subject.
Posted By: John Wann Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/11/13 06:02 PM
Posted By: djstauder Re: You just dont see this every day!! :) - 12/12/13 03:23 PM
hilarious!
© Pond Boss Forum