Pond Boss
Posted By: rkwatts Blue Heron - 02/08/13 08:05 PM
I just stocked a 2 1/2 acer pond and have two blue Herons that keep showing up i am trying to keep them run away but they keep coming back. Question 1 are they doing a nunber on my new fish #2 is it illegal to kill them. Thanks
Posted By: kenc Re: Blue Heron - 02/08/13 08:26 PM
Yes and Yes.
Posted By: Zep Re: Blue Heron - 02/08/13 09:08 PM
I had a water turkey eating fish so I added gators.
I have not seen the water turkey since adding gator decoys.
Maybe it's just a coincidence maybe not.
Before I blasted one, I thought it worth a try.
Momma & baby gator have been a good investment!

Gator Decoys
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 09:08 PM
Lol! I have to get me some of those, they would be a riot in our northern ponds!!!
Posted By: Zep Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Lol! I have to get me some of those, they would be a riot in our northern ponds!!!

Besides the water turkey being scared away, the gator decoy's have been a blast watching people's reaction. One carpenter came running up the hill, out of breath and said "do you know ya'll have gators in your pond?!"....lol

Posted By: DiamondDave Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 09:23 PM
I've seen one of these gators at an apartment complex retention pond. We have no shortage of Canadian geese that call this area their permanent home, yet I've never noticed any around this pond before. Seem to work better than the fake coyotes that they grow accustomed to and are pretty soon feeding around if you dont move them and keep them guessing. I'd give it a shot!...the gator...not at the heron smile

http://www.pondbiz.com/floating-gator

http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Decoy-Reflective-Canada-Control/dp/B00550XX68/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Alligator...ords=fake+gaotr

there are a few links to fake gators I found pretty quick. Seem pretty reasonably priced if they work.
Posted By: Zep Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamondDave
if you dont move them and keep them guessing.

I tied a weight on mine and the wind blows them all over my 4 acre pond. The gator decoys are always in a different place when I see them every weekend.

Posted By: small pond Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 10:27 PM
They probably are doing a number on your fish the local trout farm loses 1,000 pounds of fish every year because of them and they have taken some pretty big fish. they are illegal to kill but i believe you can get a permit. I think the gator decoy will probably work i just wouldn't want to run into it.
Posted By: DiamondDave Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: DiamondDave
if you dont move them and keep them guessing.

I tied a weight on mine and the wind blows them all over my 4 acre pond. The gator decoys are always in a different place when I see them every weekend.

Sounds like a good idea Zep! I thought the jointed 3 section one on Amazon looked like the best bet as it would have some pretty good "natural" movement in theory. I like your roving gator idea, will have to keep that one in mind for when I get my pond built!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Blue Heron - 02/11/13 11:29 PM
I've been wanting one of those for a long time, mostly for amusement of guests. I may ask for one for Father's Day this year.

I wonder if geese and herons would understand the significance this far north, or if they would just laugh it off like I expect my friends will do.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Blue Heron - 02/12/13 12:32 AM
Lead peppering seems to work good..
© Pond Boss Forum