Pond Boss
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:08 AM
Can you guys help me out with an ID and a little info on this fish.

Thanks BGK

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:11 AM
Gambusia?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:15 AM
I have no clue I went and visited a local fish farm kind of a smaller family operation and he said they popped up in one of his ponds maybe from some stock of other fish HE'D bought.. I told him I could prolly find out what they were..
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:16 AM
Yes - Gambusia aka mosquito fish -female.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:24 AM
Any info? (Just scanned a couple threads stating good and bad seems like opinion driven info smile )
Posted By: kenc Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 02:31 AM
In Va. they show up in every pond I have owned. I keep them in a small pool to eat the skeeter larvae. They are a cool little fish that will eat catfish food. I love the little buggers.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 03:07 PM
I think they are as you mention a love/hate fish. Many on here like them as forage as other state they may eat some eggs. I put some in my pond before I read about them on here and was worried a bit. They must have been food for my fish as I have not seen any since.

They are a neat fish to have in a tank and watch feed. Plus they live bearers.
Posted By: bobad Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 03:10 PM
BGK,

Gambusia are great little secondary forage fish. No danger of them overpopulating or damaging other species. Predators will control their numbers, but never wipe them out like fathead.
Posted By: Tums Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 03:38 PM
Looks just like a female western mosquitofish (Gambusia Affinis) to me. I probably have about 30k per surface acre of Gams. Here is a pic of a female Gam from WIKI for you to compare.
Posted By: RER Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 04:06 PM
Fry and egg eaters...DISLIKE
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 06:39 PM
bobad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why so scarce these days???
Posted By: Tums Re: Fish ID needed - 05/02/13 08:05 PM
Quote:
Fry and egg eaters...DISLIKE

BGK This can also serve a good purpose if your goal is to say raise some very large BG in a certain manner. The BG here readily feed on them as a forage base. (While I do not have the scientific proof) It appears Gams some what help control population by eating Fry and Eggs (as BobbyRice stated) before becoming dinner themselves. The Gams can serve a purpose when used in the right manner and with the right goal. The reason I grew some very large F1 HBG many years ago was partially because (my outside the box thinking) I stocked a large amount of F1's and tried to remove the HBG offspring. I am thinking it is a possibility the Gams may also help control some of the BCP population.

Like wise I would not recommend Gams for the same purpose for people that are wanting to grow X=large LMB and need all the BG forage they can get for the LMB. For that I would say use the larger free roaming FHM.

Like was stated before there are people that like and dislike Gams for their own reasons.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish ID needed - 05/03/13 01:00 AM
I dislike gambusia, there are other species out there that are better in my opinion. However, they tend to show up in a lot of bodies of water on their own. So, if you don't want them you may have no choice. They aren't the worse fish out there to have.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Fish ID needed - 05/03/13 03:03 AM
Why do you dislike them CJB
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish ID needed - 05/03/13 01:20 PM
They are extremely aggressive. They attack and outcompete other fish even ones far bigger than them. Because of their habit of living in very shallow waters, I think they make poor forage as few fish really prey on them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish ID needed - 05/03/13 05:02 PM
In colder weather, where ponds ice over for the winter, I think their numbers are limited by the cold weather. During the winter, they have to leave their shallow water haunts and become food.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fish ID needed - 05/03/13 11:26 PM
I am sure that is what happened to mine.
Posted By: kenc Re: Fish ID needed - 05/04/13 12:05 AM
MRhello, they will be back. My ponds will drop over 4 ft. and they are sand pits with no structure and the water drops off fast. However, they are there when the water gets warm. I don't usually see them for a couple of more weeks.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fish ID needed - 05/06/13 02:43 PM
If all mine died or were eaten I do not think I will have any more as there is no way for them to get in the ponds unless I stock them.
© Pond Boss Forum