Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 HSB Growth Rates - 04/27/10 02:25 PM
I stocked 50 6" HSB September 08. June 09 I was catching 12"ers. 6" growth in 9 months. I couldn't catch another one the rest of 09, but wasn't fishing for them too hard. April 10 a 17" HSB was caught. 5" growth in 9 months. I have no idea if I've sampled the largest one, for the sake of argument lets say these are average fish. My ponds are full of FHM, GSH, and I supplementally feed pellets. I'm averaging around .7"/month counting even the Winter months.

My questions:

How does that compare with other Midwest pondmeisters who are also feeding their HSB?

Does anyone else find them difficult to catch after Spring?

Do HSB become less aggressive with the presence of abundant forage?
Posted By: Tom F Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/02/10 08:30 PM
I have a half acre pond that I stocked 20 HSB in 07 and 20 more in 08. I have not yet been able to even catch one. I know most are still there because see them in the evenings feeding on pellets.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/02/10 08:42 PM
I have a hard time catching any, though I see them feed. Only forage is BG and lmb.

TJ, with your forage base, I would think a minnow, shiner type lure would work. What about a kastmaster or other spoon type? Lil George?
Posted By: james holt Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 01:53 AM
They love shrimp! Be sure and use a circle hook
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 12:30 PM
Pellet Flies .... grin
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 04:06 PM
X2 on the Pellet Flies!

Match the Hatch.

Right George wink
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 04:26 PM
Good feedback guys - thank you. What do you think about those growth rates? Slow, fast, average? How do they compare with yours?

Once my HSB went to 12" I didn't witness them feeding nearly as much. However, due to the factor of abundant forage that may help explain the issue. I should focus on getting out there every evening I can this week and aggressively fishing for them using crankbaits and maybe inline spinners. I would really like to sample one of the top end fish to determine it's WR and body condition.

I lack the time [and expertise] to tie pellet flies...anyone know of an online source for them? [Blasphemy I know!]
Posted By: FCM67693 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 05:22 PM
I put 50 HSB in last August that were 6" - 8". I caught one in October that was 12" at least, maybe 13". There may have been a couple that were larger than 8" when they went in, but they do grow quickly.

I have tried a couple of different ways to catch them. All learned on this forum grin

Tie a pellet in a piece of pantyhose and attach to the hook.

I have used Gulp Alive maggots and I think they see it as a sinking pellet.

I have heard others talk about Stubby Steves. I have not tried these yet, but others on here have had good success.

I have also taken bread and made a doughball on the hook. That works well too.

If you don't use a fly rod, you can simply tie a bobber on to cast the pellet out.

I suggest a circle hook and don't let them take it too long. It is better to miss the strike than to have them swallow the hook.

Have the drag set a little light so you don't get too much pressure on them initially. Hang on! They are fighters!

I think HSB are going to become one of my favorite fish. I love to catch anything, but the HSB I have hooked so far have been a blast.

Good Luck!
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 06:43 PM
Appx 20 mths old and Greg (in pic) estimated 3-4 lbs. Went in the pond at 10-12 inches in Dec 08.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 06:49 PM

Amazing growth! Are you catching them with any frequency Eric?
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 06:55 PM
I have not fished for them. Others have caught them. We only put in 50 and are trying to let them grow.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 08:18 PM
I stocked 200 in my pond last September. I have been fishing four times this year and have yet to catch one. Everything else was biting yesterday (crappie were darn near jumping into the boat) but no HSB.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/03/10 09:05 PM
I've caught a couple lately on Rooster Tails. They went into the pond in Nov '09 @ 6-7" and are now
about 11-12". Real aggressive, but are now being out battled for the pellets by the 17-18" rainbows.
The RBs will be gone in about a month, and then I hope the HSB will grow faster.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/05/10 01:58 AM
Windy day, sustained at 20+ so I fished the windward side with a white twister grub and 1/8 oz jighead. About 2 seconds after splashdown in the middle of the pond had a savage strike [for my UL rig]. Fought made 5 distinct drag screaming runs before I could bring her in. Just a hair under 16".

Attached picture 006.JPG
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/05/10 01:16 PM
Nice HSB TJ. Well done.
Posted By: Omaha Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/05/10 01:19 PM
Great looking fish TJ!
Posted By: ken Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/05/10 02:30 PM
Nice looking fish. Nice fast growth too. How long do HSB live?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/05/10 02:30 PM
I'm so used to catching little SMB or YP in there it nearly yanked the rod out of my hand. Josh, you DEFINITELY need to find a place for these in your pond. Speaking of which....email me an update!
Posted By: n8ly Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/06/10 02:49 AM
May 2007 I stocked my first batch of 4-6 and 6-8 inchers. To date 9 lbs is the biggest one caught, 6 lbs is the average from that year class. 2008 year class are averaging 3-4 lbs. 2009 year class are averaging 1 lb right now. 2010 year class is going in in about 10 hours at 4-6 inchers.

2009 year class all live together in a big school along my beach. There are 2000 of them all bunched up roaming together. They split up at night into smaller schools of 300-400 fish and roam around the lake, but during the day they stick together.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/06/10 02:59 AM
Nate...wow, you are growing some fish! I would love to witness a school of that size. Sounds like a Pond Boss article in the making...would love to see some video of a school that size feeding.
Posted By: n8ly Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/08/10 11:42 AM
TJ, this video is from the end of last summer. These stripers just live on the beach. They are quite a bit bigger this spring so I will have to get another video when the water warms up.

Posted By: george1 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/13/10 12:03 AM
TJ, did you receive the pellet flies I sent?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/13/10 12:07 AM
Hi George;

They arrived today - THANK you! I should be able manage this - I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and materials. I'm excited to see exactly what I'm able to catch. Will provide photos ASAP.

Thank you again.

TJ
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/13/10 12:09 AM
Unbelievable! That is so cool...I love your videos Nate. I wonder if I could get the same action with my kids in the water...something I need to try.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/13/10 01:42 AM
Have fun with the pellet flies TJ - Cecil gets credit for the idea ... grin
We love photos .... cool
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/20/10 02:26 AM
George was kind enough to not only share his pellet fly pattern, but actually took the time to mail me some plus materials to build more. I can't say enough about how much I admire and appreciate him taking the time to pass on his knowledge. Pellet flies were in action today.

Overcast, low 70's, 15 MPH South wind at my back made casting the pellet flies with my Panfish rod [7.5' 1 wt flyrod blank] a breeze. In 45 minutes caught two 5" CSBG, 8 7-11" YP, several GSH 3-7", and one 16" HSB which made at least 10 runs before I could horse her to shore and I didn't tire her out entirely. I am a believer in the pellet fly - weedless and effective.

Thanks again, George!

Attached picture DSC01271.JPG
Attached picture DSC01275.JPG
Attached picture DSC01274.JPG
Attached picture DSC01282.JPG
Attached picture DSC01276.JPG
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/20/10 03:32 AM
Nice work, TJ. I bet that hsb was a moose on that outfit.
Your poor shiners are starving.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/20/10 03:36 AM
Yes...it was a tussle - at least 8 runs were made, my little 750 Shimano Symetre was screamin - but I remember sage advice from all you HSB vets to land that fish ASAP so they don't exhaust themselves. I did it, and got paid handsomely with a few dorsal spikes as thanks. I can't imagine catching this fish in the autumn at 20"+ or more. I'm going to have to beef up the tackle. HSB are incredible fish - they are close to surpassing SMB as my favorite species.
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB Growth Rates - 05/20/10 03:50 PM
TJ, HSB are a blast on fly tackle - they will take you “into the backing” and make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!
Better use an 8wt of better if you ever want to land the big ones ... grin
© Pond Boss Forum