Pond Boss
Posted By: Mike Troyer Trouble catching bluegill - 05/06/21 02:03 AM
New pond owner here.

I stocked my new pond with 120 hybrid bluegill, 260 perch, and 12 large mouth bass.
I'm able to catch the perch this spring, but unable to catch or see any bluegill.

Pond is 1/3 acre.
27' deep about half of the pond. Other half slopes up to beach.

I have thousands of minnows stocked in the pond which are always visible around the dock.
Very few dead fish found this spring. Maybe 3 or 4 perch and one bass.

Have not seen or caught a bluegill yet. Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
I'm just not sure if they're down deep yet with the water at 54 degrees, or if i'm just not trying hard enough.
Using red worms and artificial lures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C4UfCGtKX0 youtube video of my pond construction.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/06/21 03:03 AM
Welcome to PB forum. How big were the LMB at the time of stocking and how big were the hybrid BG?
Posted By: anthropic Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/06/21 03:38 AM
Welcome to PB, Mike.

Obviously we live in very different temperature zones, but I've noticed that my bluegill type panfish are always the last to come to the feeders in the spring. Perhaps yours are still deep, waiting for a little warmer temps to get active.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/06/21 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Welcome to PB forum. How big were the LMB at the time of stocking and how big were the hybrid BG?
And when did you stock them?
Posted By: Mike Troyer Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/06/21 03:53 PM
I stocked the bluegill on December 23rd.
100-3"
20-hand sized.

The bass on the same day.
They were approx. 8"-10"

I've been looking online and I'm guessing they're still down deep.
The surface temp is 56 deg now.

I was just curious why i'm seeing everything else and starting to catch perch and bass and not the bluegill.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Heppy Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/07/21 04:56 AM
Mike,
I’m guessing that the 3 inch HBG were lunch for the 8-10 inch LMB and the 20 hand sized HBG haven’t started spawning yet because the water temperature is 54 degrees. I have neither fish but there is a rule to follow that LMB can eat other fish up to 2/3 their body length I believe. Someone can correct me on that if I’m wrong. I’m curious of the size perch (Yellow Perch)? If I understand correctly you hit the 10:1 ratio of HBG (or maybe it’s BG) to LMB on the money. An expert will let you know how to proceed. This is a great site with people willing to help! Good luck!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/07/21 08:48 PM
1/3 I believe
Posted By: esshup Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/12/21 03:54 AM
Mike:

Bluegill don't bite very well when water temps are below 65 degrees. The bluegill you put in are more than likely in the bass stomachs now, with the exception of the hand sized ones. I will venture to guess the bass that you stocked in there will eat at least 500 bluegill that are 3" long this year, if not more.
Posted By: Mike Troyer Re: Trouble catching bluegill - 05/12/21 09:36 PM
Finally caught a bass this weekend.
It was only 11" long. Not much bigger than it was when i put it in the pond.
Water is pushing 60 deg. F. by late afternoon.
Still catching perch, no bluegill.

The bass is not much bigger than the perch smile
© Pond Boss Forum