Pond Boss
Posted By: MisterA Albino Bluegill - 07/30/20 04:36 PM
Is there such a thing as an albino bluegill? I have been working on managing and have started feeding the BG. I feed daily around an hour before sunset. I throw some feed out in deeper water and throw some only a few feet from the bank. I can see the BG pretty well near the bank. Yesterday I saw a white fish. It is hard to see detail but there is no doubt this fish was not normally colored. They move fast but as far as I could tell it was shaped like a bluegill and was the same size. I have been feeding about a 6 weeks and this is the first time I've seen it. My wife also saw it.

Is there such a thing or is it possible I have some kind of invasive species somehow. I have LMB, BG, and recently stalked some CC. I have never seen nor caught anything but LMB and BG.
Posted By: ewest Re: Albino Bluegill - 07/30/20 05:25 PM
BG can change color rapidly from dark to light and back (colors change also). There can be light (whitish) BG but not true albinos. You are likely seeing BG.
Posted By: MisterA Re: Albino Bluegill - 07/30/20 05:32 PM
Thanks - that is interesting. I was pretty confident that what I saw was a BG. Can they change back and forth or is their coloring pretty well fixed for each individual fish?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Albino Bluegill - 07/31/20 10:41 AM
They'll change color. I have noticed this most catching dark colored fish and then keeping them in a white bucket - they lighten way up.

I have also caught BG that were blind in one eye (had a big nematode inside it) that were completely different colors on the right and left sides of their body - I assume due to the partial blindness.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Albino Bluegill - 07/31/20 02:20 PM
Someone posted on here a while back, about a golden colored bluegill that would visit the fish feeder often.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Albino Bluegill - 08/01/20 12:05 PM
I recently caught a BG that had the coloration of a black crappie. Neat fish.
© Pond Boss Forum