Pond Boss
Posted By: Pat Williamson CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 03:37 AM
While cruising the shore today tossing a popping bug for BG or LMB I caught several BCP 7". Has anybody else caught them this way?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 04:38 AM
I have only caught one crappie on a popper with my flyrod - I was as surprised as you. Middle of the pond, middle of the Summer, hot sunny mid day was just testing how far I could cast no intention of fishing and boom! I think it's rare, but considering a popper is supposed to behave like a feeding baitfish, maybe we shouldn't be so surprised?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 04:52 AM
Also been catching them on a curly tail jig drug behind the boat while rowing across it. Got to where that's the easiest way to fish and get exercise too
Posted By: TGW1 Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 11:24 AM
Pat, dragging a jig behind the boat and using oars or trolling motor is called STROLLING, I was strolling through the pond one day, in the mary mary month of May smile

Tracy
Posted By: Zep Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
While cruising the shore today tossing a popping bug for BG or LMB I caught several BCP 7". Has anybody else caught them this way?

Pat about ten days ago I caught this crappie on a floating frog lure:

Posted By: DrLuke Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 01:28 PM
I actually catch a fair number of BCP on floating poppers on my 2.5 acre pond. I've even had them hit large hula poppers, but can't get them into their small mouth gape.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: CRAPPIE ON TOPWATER - 04/20/16 02:07 PM
Pat I get crappie to hit top water bass frogs. 50% hookup due to large frog and my reaction jerk
© Pond Boss Forum