Pond Boss
Posted By: Snakebite Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/08/14 03:04 PM
Are folks raising SMB in southern ponds seeing larger fish/ faster growth, than ponds in the northern half of the country? With both having good water and forage base.
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/08/14 07:19 PM
I just made a post on my smallmouth that i started the year with. I live in Kansas and I am experimenting with SMB. See how it goes its very warm here but so far so good
Posted By: ewest Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/08/14 10:29 PM
We have one member who has had good success in very warm water.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 12:32 PM
A few have stocked SMB in fairly shallow TX ponds and we eagerly await progress reports. Out mentor B.Lusk experimentally stocked SMB in one of his ponds with little success, although there were a few unforeseen problems. SMB are not as tolerant as LMB.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 02:04 PM
Do you think it was from poor water quality or some other factors playing apart?
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 02:32 PM
I have some that are 1-2 lbs in a muddy texas pond. As soon as I have a forage base established in another pond they will be moved.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 03:14 PM
My southeast Nebraska SMB are doing very well with an initial low density stocking strategy and an abundance of GSH and RES for forage. SMB are very uncommon this far south in Nebraska.
Posted By: ewest Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 06:17 PM
See this thread

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11393&Number=125927#Post125927
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Smallmouth growth in the south. - 07/09/14 06:43 PM
Thanks ewest for the find.
© Pond Boss Forum