Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 12:53 AM
Indiana only. 12.5 to 16 inches. Won't know how many for a couple weeks but probably 40 to 60 but could be as few as 25.

I do have a fish haulers and supplier's permit.

Fish are pond fish and originally feed trained. I got them originally as fingerlings to grow out and sell sell to Bass Pro Shops and they backed out. I've sold about 60 others. I was able to produce several hundred fingerlings from some of them last year but I'd rather concentrate on producing yellow perch, bluegill, and brook and brown trout.

Price is negotiable. I can also haul for a fee.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 01:10 AM
Anyone in IN who doesn't jump on this one is NUTS! It's a shame you can't sell them out of state...
I'll let them go for $10.00 per pound.
Posted By: kenc Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 01:55 AM
Man,I would love to have those fish.
That's cheap as heck for feed trained SMB - and as they are Cecil's babies, rest assured they were provided lots of TLC and probably know a little sign language.
Wish I could sell them across state lines but I'd have to slaughter 60 of them for Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) testing that has NEVER been found on a fish farm and NEVER in any of the public or private waters tested in my state and most states. Furthermore where it has been found fish have developed an immunity and go on as normal. Over $5 a fish to be tested too. But the virus doesn't have to be tested for intrastate. AFR.
That's a GREAT deal!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 03:55 PM
Oh I wish!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 03:59 PM
Nice fat bulky smallies with great early growth. They no doubt have the ability to grow to 6+ lbs with the right foods.
wow, great looking fish Cecil.
Too bad my pond isn't built yet, or this might make my species selection a lot easier ! smile

Also makes me look forward to my fall fishing trip up to Rainy River/Lake Nippising in Ontario where we always catch boatloads of hog SMB.

If you still have some this time next year, I'd definitely be interested in a deal!
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Nice fat bulky smallies with great early growth. They no doubt have the ability to grow to 6+ lbs with the right foods.
wow thats something bill i never knew that smallmouth bass got that big. the largest one i ever caught was about 10 inches.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 04:44 PM
That is crazy cheap!!!! Adult smallies are more rare than hen's teeth, let alone in such excellent condition!
Posted By: esshup Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 04:49 PM
SP, here's one that Cecil did for me. It was caught in Northern Wi.

19" long

thats a bueatiful mount cecil realy knows what he's doing.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/13/13 05:34 PM
Cecil, have you sold them, yet? I may have a lead.
Not yet Bob but I do have one more person to contact. Any help would be appreciated. Remember Indiana only.
Originally Posted By: Rainman
That is crazy cheap!!!! Adult smallies are more rare than hen's teeth, let alone in such excellent condition!

Maybe so but when I had fingerlings last fall the only interested parties were out of state. I did do the testing and sold to a producer in southern Illinois.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/14/13 05:39 AM
Originally Posted By: small pond
wow thats something bill i never knew that smallmouth bass got that big. the largest one i ever caught was about 10 inches.

If you're from PA, you almost certainly have heard of Raystown Lake... 3-4 pound smallies are not uncommon out of it and I have caught them up to 21.5" and 6 plus pounds in there...

The world record is 27.5" long and 11 pounds, 15 oz...
yes cj i have heard of raystown lake and have been there a few times. i normaly only get to fish the river upstream of our house but the fishing is realy crappy the river has only had fish in it for the last 10 years and its got alot of fish in it smallies bg large mouthbass i have heard of one pike so far theres rockbass or redeys channel catfish and of course trout but unfortunatly most of the fish are small and stunted. i gues thats because theres not enough forage for all of those predators.
Posted By: R&R Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/17/13 11:59 AM
Cecil,
Still available???? I'm interested.
Six sold to Bob-O and the rest to R & R.

Thanks you all for your responses and thanks to Pond Boss for the opportunity to sell them.
Posted By: nypondguy Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/17/13 10:35 PM
Lake Champlain NY .....Giant Smallies, and plenty of em

Attached picture wow smally.jpg
So true! Alll of Great Lakes and large lakes like Champlain have both size and numbers when it comes to smallmouth bass.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/18/13 01:11 AM
Glad you were able to sell your smallies Cecil... Your customers will be very pleased I am sure! Get some photos and final numbers and stats on the bass when they go to their new homes.
Will do.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/25/13 08:17 PM
CB1 - Was you fishing in the snow today? What did it bite on? Length?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/25/13 08:20 PM
Beautiful!
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
CB1 - Was you fishing in the snow today? What did it bite on? Length?

No that's an old picture from when we were moving fish a week or two ago. Caught on a fathead minnow.

Strangely I saw a live fly on the snow today. I saw one the day before yesterday too. Seems like every living thing is ready for spring except the weather.

Bill,

Tell them about the perch eggs you found already in 40 degree water!
Nice fish cecil. In the river below our house that would be considered a trophy size smallie.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/25/13 09:50 PM
Actually the yellow perch eggs were in 43F water after a day of sunshine and water temps at 3ft were 41.9F, 6ft 40.9. Pond had thin ice the previous 6 days. I have never seen YP eggs in water that cold. Usually the water has to be stable temps 47F -49F before I see the first eggs. The eggs were laid the previous night in shallow water with small cobble on the bottom among some of last year's emergent plant stems. Sun shining on the bottom probably warmed the water in that area slightly. B.Lynch said he had eggs last week during a slight warming trend and before the Monday's snow water temps were running 36-38F with thin ice some mornings.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/25/13 10:00 PM
My water temps today ranged from 39.8°F to 40.4°F, depending on the windward or leeward side of the pond in 12" of water. No sun warming going on today!

C&R a Golden trout the other day and when brought out of the water eggs started coming out like someone opened up the hose spigot.
Apparently photoperiod trumps water temp once it gets so far out!
Posted By: ewest Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/26/13 02:02 AM
They can make mistakes on temps (quick change killing eggs) but not photoperiod.
Originally Posted By: ewest
They can make mistakes on temps (quick change killing eggs) but not photoperiod.

Not sure what you mean Eric?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 03/26/13 02:19 PM
He means what you said: photoperiod can trump temperature, and the poor water temperature will often result in dead eggs, especially if the temperature drops significantly. Although testing has shown that fish eggs (maybe species specific) can tolerate some significant temperature decreases after the eggs are water hardened and still hatch.
Got it. Yeah I'm with you. I think as long they don't hatch and then the water temps drops significantly they may be O.K.
Cecil, how can I contact you? Im in southern Indiana and have a few lakes/ponds (mine and a couple friends)that I think are capable of supporting smallies.
Well, shoot! I didn't read all of the posts! Just page 1!
Been there done that.

Here's another recent pic of one of my s smallmouth that was in another thread.

Sweet!I would be interested if you ever have them for sale again
This will be it.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Anyone interested in adult smallmouth? - 04/01/13 03:25 PM
Very nice markings on that smallie in the most recent picture. Pretty fish. That fish was from Laggis correct?
Correct. He told me he got his original broodstock from a nearby river.
© Pond Boss Forum