Pond Boss
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 12:16 AM
Well guys I finally found my redear.. Their in full spawn action.. On the beds chasing fish away.. Can't get any too bite for a pic but some are getting huge..
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 02:22 AM
Congrats, any estimates on how big your biggest ones are? Stocking history of them?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 11:07 AM
They were stocked in the late summer of 2010 (2-4").. I've also stocked maybe 10-15 from a local lake last summer and this summer.. There is a group of smaller RES on the outskirts of the beds 4-6" prolly original stockers, then 8"+ fish are guarding the beds. The ones I bucket stocked were quite skinny the fish I'm seeing are fat and very healthy.. I'll try to get some pics tonight with a good camera..
Posted By: esshup Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 02:53 PM
You can get them to bite. Get some leaf worms, or redworms. Small earthworms will work too. Use 2#-4# line, a #10 hook. Run the hook once thru the worm so it's still lively. Drop it in the nest from as far back as you can stand. Let it sink to the bottom of the nest. They can't stand having it crawling in the nest bottom. Set the hook quick or they'll be hooked too deep. Bend the barb down too......
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 03:16 PM
I really like live crickets for spawning RES. Wax worms are also good options. Can't wait to see some fish in hand photos!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 06:54 PM
I was using a 14' crappie pole with worm however I didn't let it crawl on the bottom of the nest, I will try that.. I catch all my RES on crickets buri have no crickets and I diet want to buy a tube too catch a fish i know is there..
Posted By: bobad Re: Finally found my RES - 05/09/12 07:32 PM
Found mine this year too. Over the years, I have caught only a few, usually on "way too large" lures while fishing for crappie/LMB. Those fish are crazy biting on a 3" sunfish swim bait.

Told the wife "this year, we will finally catch some RES over in that corner". Wife had doubts. Last week, she caught a pair of fat 8-9" inchers. I think I was happier than she was. Finally some RES!
© Pond Boss Forum