Pond Boss
Posted By: sadworld strange bluegill behavior... - 05/17/10 11:21 PM
good size bluegill i thought was dead at first, but is now kinda just swimming real slow and not spooking. mostly around the edged and the fin is piercing the surface, very lathargic. it's big and fat in the stomach but it's not on a bed that i can see... is it about to spawn or is something else wrong?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: strange bluegill behavior... - 05/17/10 11:31 PM
Just a guess, but it doesn't sound healthy. If it is unhealthy, it will either just die and sink, die and float, or die and get eaten by some critter in or around the pond. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you start to see several more with the same condition.

Ken
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: strange bluegill behavior... - 05/18/10 03:26 AM
As usual Ken is dead on. My guess is due to the late spring she may be egg bound and is stressed out. I've seen this in my pond.

Like Ken said I wouldn't worry about it if it's an isolated case.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: strange bluegill behavior... - 05/18/10 03:48 AM
2 days of 50 degree rains is messing things all up... I am starting to wonder if the bass will pull off a decent spawn this year. I am afraid this weird spring will really affect them.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: strange bluegill behavior... - 05/18/10 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
2 days of 50 degree rains is messing things all up... I am starting to wonder if the bass will pull off a decent spawn this year. I am afraid this weird spring will really affect them.

It happens!

I predict early June will get hot as blazes! That happened a couple of years ago here!
© Pond Boss Forum