Pond Boss
Posted By: big_pond Digging a core... - 03/28/04 05:54 PM
I have a stream bed that has flowing water through it my question is how do I dig the core accross it with the water flowing through it? How do I keep the core from filling up with water while I dig and pack the clay back in for the core?
Posted By: ken Re: Digging a core... - 03/29/04 01:12 AM
i'm not familiar with the creek , but you have to reroute it out of the way , if you have to do it in sections. i had creek flowing in my pond , thought great idea at the time , keep water level up . then i had no control over what was coming into the pond , nutrients , chemicals, who knows what somebody up creek puts in. so i moved the creek over about 50' last summer and the pond looks great so far this year. i'm sure the pros who make ponds will jump in. \:\)
Posted By: Scott Trava Re: Digging a core... - 03/29/04 01:09 PM
You are going to have to direct water away from core sight ,remember streams flow under ground so you will have to put in a pump out pit up stream to work on cross trench.
When building core across stream bed make a lateral and horizontal core dig down till there is no signs of stream bed ,if your stream is 2 foot wide make the core at least 6 foot in both directions to get a good seal.Make sure you compact clay in 6"lifts and clay content should be 70%,remove all rocks and debis when building
Good Luck
Scott
Posted By: big_pond Re: Digging a core... - 03/29/04 02:26 PM
Scott I am glad you responed!! thanks for your help I have a few Questions..

What do you mean by a pump out pit? Do I dig a pit up stream from the core site and start pumping out water from there?

How would I know that there was no more stream bed as I was digging? It seems as if the core would strat filling with water as I was digging?

What do you mean by lateral and horizontal core dig?

thanks again for your help...
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Digging a core... - 04/01/04 01:19 AM
big_pond,
I had 2 streams feeding my pond. We dug new stream beds & directed both into one which was moved to what was to be one end of the dam. Then we dug & filled the core for 2/3 of the dam while installing the primary drain pipe. We then dug new creek channels feeding to the pipe. It was then possible to dig the remaining 1/3 core & finish the dam.

Scott is refering to a pit dug above the dam (uphill) site which all water (runoff & any streams) will run into. This hole will be constantly pumped out while the dam is being built.

The stream bed will be rocky & sandy. You want to remove all the rocks & sand.

Lateral & horizontal .. he's refering to digging the standard core for the dam, & also digging a core perpendicular to the dam where the original stream would have passed under the dam.
Posted By: big_pond Re: Digging a core... - 04/01/04 05:58 AM
thanks Ric for your help
lets say I have my pump out pit up stream from the dam..... would this pit keep most maybe 85% of the water from the stream out of the core site? Also how do I know when I have dug deep enough and gone through the entire stream bed?
Posted By: Editor, Mark McDonald Re: Digging a core... - 04/05/04 10:49 PM
Hey, Big Pond:

In creating a pond from a small stream — here in Central Texas they're called "low-water crossings" — you must: (a.) wait for the dry season; (b.) divert the water; (c.) build a coffer dam that will hold back the water and allow you to work.

The last option can be tricky. Amateurs need not apply.

Mark McDonald
founding editor
Boerne
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Digging a core... - 04/06/04 12:04 AM
big_pond,
As stated before, the stream bed should be sandy & rocky & shouldn't be very deep (thick). When you reach clay type soil you will be through the stream bed.
© Pond Boss Forum