Pond Boss
Posted By: out_golfin stumps? - 01/19/04 10:51 PM
I am building a half acre pond in Northeastern Indiana in the middle of a 13 acre plot of woods. The land is fairly flat, so I anticipate having to dig the pond instead of building a dam. What do I do with all of the stumps? Are my only options to use them for cover or take them to a landfill? What have other people done with their excess stumps?

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: stumps? - 01/19/04 11:18 PM
You must be near New Haven, WE usually leave a lot of them in for structure if you have the depth.The remainder of them get burried in a clear area.With that much woods you will be fighting lots of leaves,be sure to aerate as the leaves get very "septic" very fast,Good Luck Ted
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: stumps? - 01/20/04 02:18 AM
o_g - Stumps when submerged have a pretty strong tendency to float. Be sure you anchor them firmly to the bottom/sediment if that's where you want them located.

You can also create a large brush - stump pile nearby in the woods for rabbits and other small animal cover. You will be surprised how many animals will seek refuge in a massive brush pile. Stumps as a basis will keep brush from compacting too densly so animals can manuver under and through the brush-pile canopy.
Posted By: Wood Re: stumps? - 01/20/04 04:48 AM
out_golfin, go to creating habitat, 4th topic down. Greg Grimes gives a great option.
Posted By: ken Re: stumps? - 01/21/04 05:01 PM
i would think putting the stumps in the pond would put way to many nutrients in the water from the rich topsoil from around the stump. when i dug the pond,i cleared out an area and put the stumps there , then pushed dirt over them to make a sledding hill. after cutting more trees later that i left to close to the pond , was to burn them.you need a big hoe to beat on them and flip them around though , but they will burn in time.
© Pond Boss Forum