Pond Boss
Posted By: CityDad New Pond/Dam construction - 09/25/20 03:09 AM
Hey guys,

As you know I'm going shopping for a pond and or location to build a pond. Hopefully pulling the trigger this weekend/coming week.

FWIW- Here is my daydream
https://imgur.com/a/h0Pirew
(anything stand out to yall from those pictures/that soil assessment from the county?)
~8 total acres with a 1/10 acre spring fed pond in place.
Maxes out my price range though so i'm obviously stopping to see abunch of potential places to build one.

Anyway to the point->
Theres an affordable little spot (2.5) that seller claims a pond could be built on for only 3k from a "dirt buddy" of his.
Obviously this sounds sketchy AF. Can you suggest some questions for me to vet the buddy?

Would it make sense for me to have him pitch me a sketch of what he'd build and bring it to yall to critique? If yall think it could be passable I could then take it to Lakework or someone else and pay them to review the plan and do a site visit while he builds maybe?
Posted By: esshup Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/25/20 04:19 AM
Right off the bat, ask 2 questions. How does he determine that there is enough clay content in the ground, and 2) how does he compact the dirt in the pond below the water level?

In your area, how many acres of watershed running into the pond does the NRCS say it takes to keep the pond filled?
Posted By: CityDad Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/25/20 01:00 PM
10-1 is the recomendation. I'm typically only looking at places that have surface water available to steal from (springs, creeks)
Posted By: RStringer Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/25/20 03:56 PM
Ask to look at other ponds he has built. See if they are holding water well. Might ask the owners of the pond if they have had an issues. History tends to repeat itself.
Posted By: CityDad Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/27/20 11:43 PM
Finally got boots ont he property today. Based on the layout of the property there is a perfect and easy spot for a Dam that would make a nice sized pond I can buy that the dam alone might only be 3k, plus the cost of clearing out everything and putting real structure on the bottom (100% that isn't included in the 3k). Land looks to be all clay and lots of private ponds nearby so not too worried about soil.

THis particular site did have one thing- THe best location for a pond would have it bumping against the road. THere's roughly 8' of grass before a steep drop off. How bad will that run off be for my fishies? Anything I can plant there/do during construction to make that run off get filtered?

Also- How badly would yall judge me if I put a man made waterfall there for aeration/prettiness?
Posted By: Bobbss Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/28/20 04:11 AM
I've thought about making a waterfall where water flows from my sediment pond (when I get enough rain). I want to be able to pump water up to the sediment to keep it full anyways, so why not make a waterfall. I think waterfalls are cool, natural or man made.
Posted By: RStringer Re: New Pond/Dam construction - 09/28/20 11:00 AM
It's your pond. Have it made or make it they way you want it. That's one of the joys of it being yours. Myself I like all things outdoor (pretty or rustic). I say if you want a waterfall make urself a waterfall.
© Pond Boss Forum