Pond Boss
Posted By: cmfulmer Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/20/08 09:00 PM
I thought I would share my experience with everyone regarding the siphon pipe system. After many hours researching the subject for about a year, I decided I liked the idea of a siphon system. The advantages that I liked are as follows: being able to draw the lake down to any depth at will, being able to remove deeper anoxic water instead of surface water, the peace of mind knowing there are no holes through the dam and therefore less chance of future problems/leaks, the cost efficiency vs. many of the other systems. While we were placing the the pipe my contractor and good friend stated he had built hundreds of ponds over the years and this is the first siphon pipe system he had placed. It impressed him so much that he will be placing one in his own future pond in the near future.
Once I figured out which system to use, I spent a lot of time trying to understand the parts of the system and how it all comes together. Instead of trying to get the pieces myself, I ordered the 8" kit from Keith Johnson at Pond Dam Piping. Keith was very helpful and answered all the questions I had. I ordered the 20' straight sections from a local pipe supplier. The cost was around $800 for the kit (including the butterfly valve) and around $900 for the straight pipe.
Selecting the size of the pipe will vary with factors such as location, amount of rainfall, watershed drainage, etc. Many locations might need 12" pipe while others may only need 6" pipe. My pond will be about 3 surface acres, up to 30 foot deep in central Arkansas. The watershed drainage is around 50 acres and there are several natural springs under the pond that should keep it at normal level once the pond fills up.
On to the pictures.

These are the parts to the butterfly valve. Eight big bolts hold this thing together. It is very heavy.

This is what it looks like put together in the closed position.

This is what it looks like in the open position.

This is the trash guard that goes on the inlet side of the pipe.

After picking the right spot for the pipe and using a laser to figure out how deep to place the horizontal section of pipe, we began digging a 3 foot trench where the pipe would be placed.

We were fortunate because at a 17' vertical drop from normal water level, it was at the water's edge. There's already 10 feet of water in the deepest part and I was worried that we would have to pump some of the water out to place the pipe. I used 17' to give some room for error because you can't pull water over 20' vertically with a siphon. The inlet part was put together before placing.

The inlet side in place ready for some cover dirt and the next piece. It's very easy to slide these pieces together going downhill, but on the backslope, the trackhoe was used to force the pipe sections together.

After the horizontal section was in place, all that you could see was the vent pipe sticking out of the dirt. To me, this was the most important part because the horizontal section determines the normal water level. Apparently there was some confusion about pipe vs. emergency spillway levels. When we shot the grade with the laser, the emergency spillway was 3' below the crest of the dam and this was where the normal water level was supposed to be. After talking with my contractor and using some diagrams, he finally understood that the pipe would control the normal water level and the e-spillway was for floods. We ended up having the e-spillway 10" below the crest of the dam (actually there are 2 emergency spillways, one on either side of the dam), and the horizontal pipe 10" below the e-spillway for a total of 20" below the crest of the dam. I know the NRCS wants 2' of freeboard but the dirtwork was through and there won't be large amounts of water coming through the pond. Everything should be alright.

The backslope of the dam. Notice the butterfly valve towards the end followed by a 45 degree angle.

The finalized vent pipe. A t-post was used to anchor the pipe in case someone bumps into it. It's used to take the torque and stress off of the horizontal section. The flag behind the vent pipe marks the water line.

All that remains on the backslope is the valve section.

I tried backing up to give some perspective of the inlet side vs. the outlet side.

That's all for now. I hope this has helped anyone who had questions about the siphon pipe system.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/21/08 07:25 PM
Great post! Can't wait to see it in action.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/21/08 07:52 PM
It really is a good post. Very informative.
Call me pessimistic, but 10" of freeboard makes me nervous. It's not always just the amount of inflow/outflow that should be anticipated. The killer is wind. Combine water flow at the Emergency Spillway with 30 - 40 mph winds blowing waves across the face of the dam....well, you know.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/21/08 10:28 PM
Brettski,
I know. I'm a little uneasy too. But I planned to have the water level at a precise point. Things like the boat ramp and beach need a certain amount of water. My contractor made a mistake. Fortunately, it's never windy around here most of the year and the winds usually come with fronts from the north. Because the dam is on the north side, it should be protected from those northerly winds.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/21/08 10:44 PM
The silver lining to the freeboard thing is that adding to the height of the dam is alot easier than re-building, hands down. You can monitor the activity over the course of a couple of blows and see how things go.
-
That is still one massive dam project; looks awesome, man.
Posted By: otto Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/22/08 11:07 PM
That really is a good bit of information in pictures.

You made the whole job look easy,

Thanks for the time and pictures.

otto
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/22/08 11:28 PM
I thought it would help some people who needed information about the siphon pipe system. I'm just glad it's done!
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/22/08 11:37 PM
That vent setup is interesting. I didn't know you could use it to draw down the pond. I will have to consider that on my next pond.The only two siphon systems I have ever seen just have a hole in the horizontal pipe.
Posted By: TwoLakes Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 04:52 AM
Can someone please explain to me how the siphon system will start automatically as the water level goes over a certain height? I understand the concept of the siphon, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it will start to siphon automatically instead of simply draining through the backside pipe. The automatic prime has me confused. :-)
Posted By: Brettski Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 10:50 AM
I always wrestle with the siphon thing, but I believe it works like this:
The water seeks it's own level and simply drains thru the siphon when it reaches the horizontal pipe that runs thru the dam. As it continues to rise and completely fills that same horizontal pipe, the weight of the exiting water (as it runs downhill out of the exit pipe behind the dam) begins the siphoning effect.
-
Did I fail the exam?
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 12:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
Can someone please explain to me how the siphon system will start automatically as the water level goes over a certain height? I understand the concept of the siphon, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it will start to siphon automatically instead of simply draining through the backside pipe. The automatic prime has me confused. :-)

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=111882&fpart=2
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 02:11 PM
Brettski is correct. For a siphon you must have a greater amount of water going downhill by gravity than a greater amount of water coming uphill and you must have a closed system (i.e. no air). The vent is a siphon stop (if the vent was not there the pond would drain down to the level of the inlet until air was introduced). Once the pipe fills up (and it doesn't have to fill all the way, I'm guessing only 1/2 from what I've been told) the siphon kicks in draining the pond. Once the water level comes back down to just below the vent pipe, air is introduced and the siphon stops.
Posted By: TwoLakes Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 06:01 PM
Thanks for the answers. I have a much better understanding of the inner workings now. I think we'll look into adding a siphon on our large pond to keep normal runoff from going over the spillways.
Posted By: Scott Trava Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/23/08 11:51 PM
To Peter I received your note and will make the same post. On Northern ponds siphon pipe are set four foot below water level and the main purpose is to drain the pond if needed not to maintain water level. Also minimum two 4 foot pvc weep collars backfilled with mason sand to trap clay wash.

If your main purpose of installig one is to drain the pond you can always use and above ground set up when needed.

good luck
Posted By: otto Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 10:24 AM
Who was the first to discover out this siphon thing, And when?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 12:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: otto
Who was the first to discover out this siphon thing, And when?

From experiencefestival.com
 Quote:
It is tolerably certain that Ctesibius was the discoverer of the principle of the siphon. His student, Hero of Alexandria, wrote extensively about siphons in the treatise, Pneumatica. Even before the Greeks, Egyptian reliefs from 1500 B.C. depict siphons used to extract liquids from large storage jars.

and from Wikipedia, if you were wondering who Ctesibius was
 Quote:
Ctesibius or Ktesibios or Tesibius (Greek Κτησίβιος) (fl. 285–222 BC) was a Greek or Egyptian inventor and mathematician in Alexandria, Ptolemaic Egypt. He wrote the first treatises on the science of compressed air and its uses in pumps (and even a cannon). This, in combination with his work on the elasticity of air On pneumatics, earned him the title of "father of pneumatics." None of his written work has survived, including his Memorabilia, a compilation of his research that was cited by Athenaeus.

Aren't you glad you asked?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 04:59 PM
HA HA....ol’ Theo got caught pullin’ our leg again. Don’t fall for his hijinx, Otto.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 05:46 PM
Slow day in the steel business, eh?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 05:48 PM
not really
been busy inventing the wheel
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/25/08 05:53 PM
OK Otto, you just had to ask, didn't you? Be careful what you wish for. Don't ever ask anything about organic fertilizer.
Posted By: otto Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/26/08 12:04 PM
BRETTSKI

THAT IS KIND OF WHAT I THOUGHT.

OTTO
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/26/08 02:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: otto
BRETTSKI

THAT IS KIND OF WHAT I THOUGHT.

OTTO

Now THAT'S funny. \:D
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/26/08 04:35 PM
I never tire of that story, it brings a tear to my eye every time it's told.
Posted By: minifarmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/07/08 02:24 AM
I agree that the siphon system is great in many ways. I am eager to use this system for my pond that I will build next spring/summer. One question, though... How reliable is the siphon system in northern climates such as my home state of Ohio. I am concerned that the vent pipe could freeze up in the winter and the pond drain all the way down because the vent can't work. I thought about opening up the vent pipe at the tee and then relying on the emergency spillway to control the water elevation but then you run the risk of erosion. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on this issue.

Thanks
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/07/08 10:53 PM
Minifarmer,
I don't have any information for you about the vent pipe freezing. I would suggest calling Keith at Pond Dam Piping to see if he has any information.

Update on the siphon system. Due to recent strong rains, the pond has risen to within 8 feet of normal pool level. I decided I wanted to test the system out to see if everything is working properly. So me and my son borrowed a transfer pump from the farmer that built my pond and off we went.

This is a 5 hp pump that pumps about 50 gallons per minute or more.

After using some water bottles to float the intake pipe (so that it wouldn't suck up any rocks into the impeller), the pump was primed and the engine started. This is my son who is a great little helper.

This is the backside of the dam that is currently flooded. Man, I wish it were duck season already.

The pipe never filled up all the way with water because once the backslope pipe fills up, the water starts filling up the intake pipe. But because the intake is not shutoff, pressure pushes the water back out into the pond. So after running the pump for 20 minutes, I thought I'd give it a try. I replaced the vent cap and proceeded to open up the butterfly valve on the outlet. At first water came out pretty well, then a big roar of air, then a gusher. It probably shot water about 8 foot into the air. These pictures are from the top of the dam so everything looks small.

I ran it for about one minute, then I had my right-hand man to open the vent valve.

After 10 seconds of loud sucking noise, the water stopped.

My experience has taught me that it is probably better if you had some sort of vacuum pump to suck the air out because the pipe will never fill completely up with water by just pouring it in. Does anyone have a setup with a vacuum pump and some sort of safety valve/filter to prevent water being sucked up into the vacuum pump? If so, I would appreciate information on the vacuum pump (specs) and any pictures you may have of the setup.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/08/08 02:18 PM
I used my Gast aeration compressor/vacuum pump. First I put a test plug in the outlet of the siphon tube and then I drilled and tapped a PVC cap and installed a tire valve in it and put the cap on the end of the vent tube. I used electrical tape to seal the cap so it could be removed. I then connected a Whole House water filter with a clear base between the pump and the siphon cap so when water started being drawn to the vac. pump, I could close the valve on the filter. It took less than 3 minutes to draw the air out and fill 150 feet of 4" tubing. I then pulled the test plug from the outlet and was drenched by the rush of water being pulled from the pond. Once the pond level was lowered to the desired level, I pulled the cap off the vent tube and stopped the siphon.

I hope this makes some sense.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/08/08 02:36 PM
Rainman,
I think I understand your setup. This sounds like exactly what is needed. Will any Gast pump work? I know they sell a lot of different ones. It might be too much trouble, but could you post a picture sometime, or web links to the filter and pump that you have? If it's too much trouble don't worry about it. How does the tire valve attach to the filter? This sounds very interesting.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/10/08 02:12 AM
Rainman,
Is this the type of whole house filter housing you were talking about?
http://www.filtersfast.com/OmniFilter-OB5-water-filter-housing.asp

As far as the Gast Roc-R pump, this is the spec sheet for their pumps. Which model do you have?
http://www.gastmfg.com/rocr.html

I'm also wondering if the diaphragm pumps would work because there are a lot of models that are DC, and I don't have electricity to the pond dam.
http://www.gastmfg.com/diaphram.html

I'm also curious of the attachments used. I'm assuming that their is some type of connector on the whole house filter that attaches to the tire valve. Then a tube or pipe connects the filter to the pump. Is this correct?

Thanks for the input.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 09/10/08 04:35 PM
cm, That filter will work fine! Mine happens to have a shut-off valve built in, so you would need a valve to stop the flow.

The reason I used a tire valve was simply because I had one, as well as an old tire pump hose to connect to it. ANY sealed tubing would work as long as you have a valve to stop the air flow.

Any gast pump will produce enough vacuum. Even an air compressor will work if you can isolate the inlet. My pump is the 72R twin vacuum---It produces a max 30psi on the pressure side.

I have even started my siphon by filling the output sipe pipe with water and then sealing all connections before removing the test cap, but hauling 150 gallons of water up the dam was a little more than exhausting and didn't always work when the air form the pond side of the pipe hit the outlet.
Posted By: lassig Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 03/13/09 06:21 PM
Where was this post a couple of weeks ago when I was searching for info on siphon systems. Sometimes I am just blind. Great post, made me feel better about the one I plan to install this summer.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 04/15/09 02:39 PM
I'm glad you found the information useful. I know I haven't posted in a while. The pond is full now and I will post some pictures soon.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 04/16/09 07:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: cmfulmer
I'm glad you found the information useful. I know I haven't posted in a while. The pond is full now and I will post some pictures soon.

I sure hope so Chad!!!!!

You get all that pretty water and then desert us!

Did you ever figure out if it was seepage or some of your many springs below the dam?

I'm headin' back down to LRAFB soon and wanna do some fishin'!
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 04/27/09 05:25 PM
Rainman,
Look me up when you head this way. I've been really busy out there and the place has changed. The water on the backside of the dam is spring water. There are no leaks in the dam as far as I know.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/02/09 08:13 PM
Hey everyone. I know it's been a while since I posted and I promised I would get some more pictures up. We were out at the pond yesterday enjoying the beach area and letting the kids swim so I took some pictures.

This first one is at the southwest corner looking over the pond. This is the main drainage running into the pond and you can see the tops of the brushpiles we have placed.

This is the emergency spillway. Originally, the spillway was too shallow and I had to bring in some shale to increase the height of the spillway. Up until this point the siphon pipe wasn't being used as the primary spillway because the contractor couldn't understand exactly what I wanted. So I placed the shale with my tractor to the level I wanted.

This is the air vent. As you can see at normal pool I have about 2 inches of the pipe submerged. I've never had a chance to adjust this because this is the first time my pipe has been the primary spillway. If the pond level is correct should I have to adjust this pipe (cut off the 2 inches of pipe in the water)? I assume that when the siphon is activated, it creates a vortex or whirlpool that could let air in the vent to shut the siphon off and this could reach 1-2 inches below the water level. I don't know for sure that is why I'm asking.

The nexts pictures are on the dam looking south at the beach and drainages.
]

This picture is looking west to the emergency spillway.

Last night it rained about 3-4 inches so I went out today and took some pictures of the pipe and emergency spillway. This is pipe is full siphon mode.

This is the main drainage with runoff coming from a pond to the south.

This is the emergency spillway. It is being used a little more than I thought it would but is definitely keeping water off the top of the dam.
[

You can see erosion of the ridge that was placed to channel the water into the smaller pond below. This dirt was placed over one year ago so I'm not sure how to keep this from happening. The area under this ridge is natural shale and bedrock so I'm not worried about the erosion going down into the earth, I would just like to keep the water moving into the smaller pond below.

You guys can tell me what you think.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/02/09 08:32 PM
Looks good.

For that ridge, get some grass to grow and flatten the slope. The water looks like it is flowing straight into the ridge. Try and smooth out any turns that the water has to make.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/04/09 06:00 PM
That's some kind of beautiful pond! Just my 2c, but be careful that the weeds growing up around the air vent don't stop up the pipe. Does the spillway get used often? If so, try lowering the horizontal part of your air vent pipe. This will allow the siphon to move more water.
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/05/09 02:27 PM
Jersey, thanks. This is the first time the emergency spillway has ever been used. I know what you mean about the weeds. I cut them about 2 weeks ago and they are already too high. I'll have to break out the weedeater this weekend. I'm also going to be installing a trash guard around the vent pipe.
Posted By: otto Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/06/09 09:47 AM
The pond really looks good and the spillway held up good.

Not sure what I was looking at conserning the ridge. Was that putting water in another pond or part of the spillway?
Posted By: cmfulmer Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 05/06/09 09:59 PM
Yeah, the water that goes over the emergency spillway funnels into another small shale pit pond. The flowing water cut into a berm that channels that water. I need to do a little tractor work to get the water off of the berm and into the middle of the lane.
Posted By: Lynyrd Re: Siphon Pipe is IN! - 07/21/14 03:25 PM
How is your siphon system holding up? Looking at all of your pictures, I am curious about the vent pipe. It looks like it as very close to the dirt. Has that been a problem. I am planning my pond right now, and would also like to have a siphon.
© Pond Boss Forum