Pond Boss
Posted By: DrLuke Made a pond goal - 03/27/23 05:36 PM
My brother-in-law (of course) caught our new pond record LMB this past Saturday. 5.01 pounds and 20 inches. WR was 109%. I'm sure she was full of spawn. Very cool to know we have at least one 5 lb-er in there. My LMB were stocked in fall 2017 as 5-7 inch fingerlings. We also had a significant winter fish kill in spring 2021.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Made a pond goal - 03/27/23 07:20 PM
Good job Dr. Luke!

Pond records are made to be broken. It might be fun to put up a bulletin board in the house/cabin and record the pond records with photos.

A "junior" category would be fun for the little people that catch a big one, that doesn't quite beat the pond record.

Now that you have LMB over 5#, you should also start getting some large BG. Might need a record for them too!

Have fun breaking your records over the next few years.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Made a pond goal - 03/27/23 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Good job Dr. Luke!

Pond records are made to be broken. It might be fun to put up a bulletin board in the house/cabin and record the pond records with photos.

A "junior" category would be fun for the little people that catch a big one, that doesn't quite beat the pond record.

Now that you have LMB over 5#, you should also start getting some large BG. Might need a record for them too!

Have fun breaking your records over the next few years.

Thanks! I'm amazed at how I enjoy seeing other people (and especially kids or people who are new to fishing) catch a nice fish and how excited they get.
Our biggest BG are right around 11" now. I'm looking for that 12"-er over a pound. We have RES in there too, so hoping to catch a 'keeper' there too. It's getting hard to get a hook past the BG, BCP, LMB and YP, to even get a crack at our RES. But that's a good problem to have.

FYI, the Boss (Mrs Perrin) holds all the other pond records. Of course. Which is good stuff!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Made a pond goal - 03/27/23 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by DrLuke
FYI, the Boss (Mrs Perrin) holds all the other pond records. Of course. Which is good stuff!

It sure is nice to have a good wife, isn't it?

Snipe's wife now holds a State Record!

Looks like you are going to have to add a few more pond goals! grin
Posted By: anthropic Re: Made a pond goal - 03/28/23 12:18 AM
Beautiful markings on that fish. Congrats!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Made a pond goal - 03/28/23 12:28 AM
Nice fish!!! Congratulations!!

In the first pic, his gut looks a little thinner near where your brother's right hand is, but then, in the next pic, it's bulky gut looks like it extends further out towards the tail.

It almost looks like the contents of the fish's stomach redistributed when moving from horizontal to vertical.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Made a pond goal - 03/28/23 03:42 AM
Congrats Dr. Luke! It sounds like the fish are roaring back and the balance of predator to prey might be pretty good already!

Have you seen any perch ribbons yet? Do you harvest perch or in some way control population through removing eggs?
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Made a pond goal - 03/28/23 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Nice fish!!! Congratulations!!

In the first pic, his gut looks a little thinner near where your brother's right hand is, but then, in the next pic, it's bulky gut looks like it extends further out towards the tail.

It almost looks like the contents of the fish's stomach redistributed when moving from horizontal to vertical.

I saw that after I looked at the picture closely later. I should have had him adjust his hand hold position slightly. I think her belly was just compressed by her weight.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Made a pond goal - 03/28/23 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Congrats Dr. Luke! It sounds like the fish are roaring back and the balance of predator to prey might be pretty good already!

Have you seen any perch ribbons yet? Do you harvest perch or in some way control population through removing eggs?

No YP egg ribbons seen here...yet. But our water temps have been pretty darn cold yet. I sank some fresh Christmas trees and staked them down, plus have some dead trees on the edges I felled with the chainsaw off the ice and are now in the water on the edge. I'm hoping to provide a little 'ribbon-topia'..
I'll post any sightings when they occur. *fingers crossed*.
© Pond Boss Forum