Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe Proud moment - 06/30/22 02:56 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Sunil Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 04:14 AM
Congratulations!!!!

That's a football/tuna of a YP, but I'm a bit surprised at the record weight being that far under 2lbs.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 04:27 AM
Here's the story... She caught that fish on a FHM and it was hooked pretty deep. I went to shop (50 yrds away) and got my bucket and electrolytes because I had to remove hook with forceps and seen a tad of blood. I told her it would be a shame to fillet a state record and she looked at me and said if it's a state record, I want it!
That day we caught 7 well over the state record, returned in good shape and taking weight and length measurements to keep track as we do.. I had some trouble 2 years ago when these fish were in the 10-12" range.. WR's were dropping. Some culling of about 70 8-10" smb started to show results at end of yr 3. Those YP are eating crawfish now and just blew up 6 months after starting to thin the smb out.
The day she caught this fish, she also caught 2 twins at 14.83 and 15.02". both at 2lbs, 2oz.
We will see what next year brings but I've been pulling 60-80 7-11" fish the last 2 years.
p.s., WR's were 102-110% on males that day, and 114-134% on females-as expected.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 12:54 PM
What a great fish Snipe and a great story too. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 03:13 PM
Awesome story and fishery! Congrats!
You say they are eating crawfish now. Does your pond have a breeding population that the fish are just getting big enough to eat or are you supplemental feeding them crawfish. Just curious, feel free to tell me to pound sand if it's something you would rather keep to yourself.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 04:48 PM
Absolute football of a fish. It's almost 0.5 lb heavier while being almost a 0.5 in shorter than the previous record which is impressive.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by catscratch
You say they are eating crawfish now. Does your pond have a breeding population that the fish are just getting big enough to eat or are you supplemental feeding them crawfish. Just curious, feel free to tell me to pound sand if it's something you would rather keep to yourself.
Pound rocks.. :-))
Takes lots of rocks and it's a self-sustaining craw population.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 07:34 PM
I just seen this on top stories on yahoo. Thats pretty damn cool.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Proud moment - 06/30/22 07:53 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like you've already got some future state records already swimming around. Shows what good management can accomplish.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Proud moment - 07/01/22 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Snipe
Originally Posted by catscratch

Pound rocks.. :-))
Takes lots of rocks and it's a self-sustaining craw population.

Very cool and thanks!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Proud moment - 07/01/22 11:21 PM
Congrats, it had to be a very cool experience.
© Pond Boss Forum