Pond Boss
Posted By: Rangersedge Pursuit of Trophy Bluegill - 03/24/22 05:57 PM
Saw this article. Made me think of Bruce and that Mill Lake.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing...06e-a28cd0f2a4-536295462#affinity=angler
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Pursuit of Trophy Bluegill - 03/24/22 07:03 PM
Thanks for the article! I enjoyed the comments BELOW the article where there is a lively debate on whether fish raised in very special conditions should be recognized as a record or not. Others weighed in on how this also could apply to record bucks who benefit from special food plots and conditions that artificially created. I find the discussion fascinating on both sides.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Pursuit of Trophy Bluegill - 03/24/22 09:05 PM
I won't get into 4 legged records, but privately owned fish should never be a world record. Public access should be required.

State records can be different, and are determined by each state. Here in TX, we have 4 categories for state fish records. 2 for public water records, and 2 for private water records. Both have a conventional tackle record, and a fly fishing record.

Neat article.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Pursuit of Trophy Bluegill - 03/25/22 12:32 AM
I thought the article was interesting as well.

They started with 7000 BG in a 5 acre pond (1400/Acre), an amount I thought was kind of high for a trophy BG pond goal. In 3.5 years they have grown some to over 3 lbs. They mentioned culling which doesn't get talked about much (with Theo a notable exception). So I would have liked to hear more about their culling/harvest management. Just wondering also how many of the original 7000 remain and what their average weight is.

The other question I had is about whether the CNBG is a separate species and if so should its record be distinguished from NBG. Alabama is native to the NBG and I if I am not mistaken the current world record is NBG. The fish were really a sight to see with the candied apple sheen.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Pursuit of Trophy Bluegill - 03/25/22 12:29 PM
https://www.pbs.org/video/kentucky-afield-bluegill-record-holder-recalls-catch-lifetime/
© Pond Boss Forum