Pond Boss
Posted By: BranClanFarm Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/28/21 07:53 PM
I (meaning my daughter) FINALLY got to fish the 50+ year old 1/8 acre pond on the property we recently purchased. I have definitely seen a few decent sized LMB in there (probably 18-20"). We only had a few minutes as I had to get a new gate installed, but she caught these two species. The pics were taken from the video my wife shot, so hopefully good enough for an ID. I am horrible at identifying anything beyond perch or bluegill, so can anyone offer some input. Thanks!

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture Fish1.jpg
Attached picture Fish2.jpg
Attached picture pond.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/28/21 09:09 PM
Those are both Bluegill, top one is a male, bottom one is a female.

These are Perch. (specifically Yellow Perch)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BranClanFarm Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/28/21 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by esshup
Those are both Bluegill, top one is a male, bottom one is a female.

These are Perch. (specifically Yellow Perch)

Ah, that makes sense. Are there different types of bluegill, or is that actually the specific type of sunfish they are? I am guessing and hoping, that it is just those and the LMB in the pond (and I know there are a bunch of FHM), but I may run a seine net across it when I get a chance. My buddy has one that is 50 feet wide, and I would be surprised if this old of a pond is more than 5 feet dee at the center.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/29/21 02:36 AM
BG sunfish and perch are all a few loosely used names for "panfish". BG is proper for what you have above. There are many species in this family that have similar traits/shapes (Lepomis=genus, Centrarchidae=family), Redear sunfish, Pumpkinseed, orange spotted, Green, longear are a few of the others.. some are known by many names but the BG is likely the most abundant of which there are 2 variations, Northern BG and Coppernose BG. Northern BG survive about anywhere in North america where the coppernose is a southern, or "warmer water" species, but not addressed as a sub specie.
Posted By: BranClanFarm Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/29/21 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Snipe
BG sunfish and perch are all a few loosely used names for "panfish". BG is proper for what you have above. There are many species in this family that have similar traits/shapes (Lepomis=genus, Centrarchidae=family), Redear sunfish, Pumpkinseed, orange spotted, Green, longear are a few of the others.. some are known by many names but the BG is likely the most abundant of which there are 2 variations, Northern BG and Coppernose BG. Northern BG survive about anywhere in North america where the coppernose is a southern, or "warmer water" species, but not addressed as a sub specie.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the education session Snipe! We always just called everything a sunfish, bluegill, or perch. Now I at least know what we have in our pond, haha!
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 03/29/21 08:20 PM
And I think its a Texas thing to refer to Bluegill and other sunfish species as "perch" even though they are completely different species. Someone on here one time mentioned that a fish dealer was trying to sell them "Red Ear Perch" even though they are technically Red Ear Sunfish. Drives me crazy, lol.
Posted By: BranClanFarm Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 04/02/21 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Steve_
And I think its a Texas thing to refer to Bluegill and other sunfish species as "perch" even though they are completely different species. Someone on here one time mentioned that a fish dealer was trying to sell them "Red Ear Perch" even though they are technically Red Ear Sunfish. Drives me crazy, lol.

As a Texan, I approve this message, haha!
Posted By: Flame Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 04/02/21 12:47 PM
I was told a lmb is even in the "sunfish" family. Is it true??
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 04/02/21 12:56 PM
It's a Centrarchid, but it ain't no sunfish.

Except maybe in your state, if that's what you cal it.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish ID Please: Bluegill? Perch? - 04/05/21 02:53 PM
The Sunfish family (aka Centrarchid) includes LMB , SMB , Crappie and BG, RES , GSF etc.

[Linked Image from i74.photobucket.com]
© Pond Boss Forum