Pond Boss
Posted By: jpws Deformed Fish - 08/02/20 02:48 PM
What happened to this one?

i caught it yesterday on a roostertail.
I'm guessing it is one of the hybrid bluegill i added a year ago...but look at the head on this thing.
It has a nearly flat front of head, with protruding eyes and strange mouth..

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_2424.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2426.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2424.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2425.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Deformed Fish - 08/02/20 03:13 PM
That's what I call a circus fish. Here's a thread on the ones I have cought out of my pond...

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=507361

Bottom line is that these HBG tend to have some abnormalities due to the mixed breeding. It's kinda weird to pull one from your own pond. I have not seen any odd lookinbg "next generations" however...just the originals.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Deformed Fish - 08/02/20 05:02 PM
I found the most deformed fish were from the initial stockers. Fingerlings that get a little damaged in shipment have minimal competition and predation under those circumstances, and many more make it to adulthood than they would in an established pond.
Posted By: snrub Re: Deformed Fish - 08/03/20 01:10 AM
Seems like there was an old thread about Georgia Giants (hybrid BG of a parentage that was not disclosed) where some of the later generations of fish resembled those pictures.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Deformed Fish - 08/03/20 12:15 PM
It's a West Virginia thing.....
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Deformed Fish - 08/03/20 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by snrub
Seems like there was an old thread about Georgia Giants (hybrid BG of a parentage that was not disclosed) where some of the later generations of fish resembled those pictures.

I was just about to post that ... looks like one of them GGs to me laugh
Posted By: Augie Re: Deformed Fish - 08/03/20 08:47 PM
What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?

Dam!
© Pond Boss Forum