Pond Boss
Posted By: DrLuke 2019 ice fishing - 01/11/19 11:18 PM
Although my ice melted off and has refrozen a couple times since my first ice fishing adventure in December, The Boss and I ventured out last week on a really too nice for January day, and found 3 solid inches of clear ice to work with. I was doing a little 'popping' and 'pinging', but I only had to change my long underwear once, so.

a bit closer...

And then this happens, after a very brief discussion about 'not needing anymore crappie nibbles, because nothing is biting anyways..' :-). Famous last words.

This is one of our fall 2017 stockers. And, the first LMB we've ever caught through the ice. We also caught a few very small BG, but mostly it was slow catching, but gorgeous fishing.

I hope the rest of the Pond Boss crew has been having some luck? Whenever I see the slabs TJ hauls up through the ice, I am super envious! Have fun out there, but be careful. It's been a very thin ice year, so far.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/13/19 03:51 AM
I ice fish my pond as much or more than open water. Couple of weeks ago I got a pretty decent bass.

Last weekend a friend and I gave it a go.

Pretty good for an hour. One thing I’ve learned about ice fishingall ponds. Drill all your holes as soon as you get there. It often spooks the fishfor a bit.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/13/19 06:17 PM
Good hint for ice fishing small waters; drill most all holes first. There are some nice fish so far coming up through the ice.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/15/19 10:09 PM
Great pics guys.
Posted By: Sunil Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/16/19 06:42 PM
Super great!!!
Posted By: RStringer Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/16/19 06:50 PM
Looks like you fellas are having the time of your lives. Hell yeah thanks for sharing the pics.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/16/19 07:01 PM
We finally (sadly?) have some typical January midwest weather coming in (teens/sub zero temps) over the next 10-14 days. So I will be heading back out there for round 3 soon. We do have an ice shack to drag out, and I may have to put that up (and start my little heater) to get The Boss back out there with me. I also need to service all the wood duck houses from the ice while I can.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: 2019 ice fishing - 01/17/19 02:03 AM
Good looking fish.... I’m jealous
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: 2019 ice fishing - 03/10/19 02:26 AM
10" of ice left on our pond, but day times temps will hit an amazing 60 degrees by next Thursday. No more skating this year. It is pouring rain right now.

So today for the first time I had a nephew over and his ice fishing gear and we drilled some holes. More for fun than anything else he set up his tent, turned on his propane heater, got out his fancy fish sonar and off we went.

We found that the perch were hungry for the waxworms. We caught a few large shiners too.

Could not get the RES or any of the other panfish (supposedly there should be some LES and a few pumpkinseeds, but we can't catch them summer...or winter now) to bite.

We caught one other large female, plump in the mid section. We should see egg ribbons in about 20-21 days if the last few years hold true this year. With the balmy January and polar vortex in Feb and this much ice left in March, we'll see!!

We did have a bonus 'color' species come through the ice attracted by our canned corn bait.

Attached picture IMG-20190309-WA0001.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20190309-WA0002.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20190309-WA0003.jpg
Posted By: Snipe Re: 2019 ice fishing - 03/10/19 03:36 AM
Looks like Goldy is ready to "pop" too..
Posted By: JJB876 Re: 2019 ice fishing - 03/10/19 07:16 PM
Impressive catch!
© Pond Boss Forum