Pond Boss
Posted By: Mobilus Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/04/14 08:31 PM
My grandson and I pulled a couple of CC out of the pond last week, and both were healthy in all respects - in the 5 to 6# range.

What puzzles me is the color of the meat...the female had white flesh and the male had pink flesh.

The female (white) fried up quickly and the male (pink) took much longer to cook and was tougher and more "fishy" tasting.

Anyone know why this was?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 12:20 AM
IMO your dark meat probably came from a relatively old mature male. I have seen this many times. I only harvest male CC that are 3 pounds or less for table fare. I do not know this for a fact, but I have always thought the same principle applies as many other animals. Ever try to eat the meat from a mature boar hog? Tough, bad smelling and worse tasting!
Posted By: snrub Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 12:43 AM
The pink looks more like our bullhead meat.

No answer for you, but interesting observation.
did you bleed out both fish before filleting them?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 01:56 AM
Hey Snakebite,

Good thought. Do you cut the gills or the tail on CC? I always cut the tail.
Snake
Try throwing fish into a ice and salt water brine in ice chest for an hour or so. Hypothermia pushes the blood out of meat into organs. Salt water professionals do that with tuna ( sushi grade). It really works on all fish. You won't believe how much better the fish taste

Pat W
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 02:26 AM
Pat,

I will definitely try that. Makes a whole lot of sense.

Tube jig under a cork retrieved real slow......
After 40 yrs of runnin offshore you should learn a few goodies... Then pass them on for others to benifit from. That's what this forum is about

Pat

Tube jig under a cork ..... Sloooow hmmm thanks Bill
Yes on catfish I always cut the tail fin off, to allow the bleed out. Then fillet top to bottom keep skin on until I flip the fillet then run the knife along the skin between the board. Peeling catfish got old quick, and arms go numb after about 10+. I normally soak the fillets for 30mins to 1hr in the salt brine. I also hear the salt opens the fillet up to absorb, so I take them out and vacuum seal them with squeezed lemons, Fresh Thyme, Garlic or salted butter.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 12:04 PM
Marinate those pink filets in Sprite or 7-up for a few hours and they will turn white, and not be near so strong in flavor.
Posted By: Mobilus Re: Channel Cat flesh differences - reason? - 12/05/14 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've always just skinned them out and soaked the fish meat in a salt-water bath overnight, and that worked well until this old guy. I'll definitely adopt your suggestions.

Y'all have a great day!
© Pond Boss Forum