Pond Boss
Posted By: G.DUB Geotextile Liner/underlay - 06/07/21 05:40 PM
Hi, I was planning on putting down a geotextile liner to separate the clay the pond was dug in with the 10mm round river rock I'll be putting on it. Does anyone have any tips for me. I'll also be putting up some cinder blocks on the ledge before it drops into the deep end to catch and rocks from taking the plunge into the deep end.

I was also wondering about using or not using the geotextile in the area of my pond where we'll be planting filtering plants. My thoughts are that it won't allow too much to grow up from the clay underneath and won't grow too many unwanted plants. Or should I not worry about it and just plant in that area without the geotextile?
Thanks
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Geotextile Liner/underlay - 06/07/21 06:41 PM
I haven't personally done rocks over the geotextile, but know some guys that have put rocks straight onto clay. The rocks always managed to sink into the clay and disappear over time. Therefore, I think you will definitely have better results using the fabric below the rock.

As regards other advice, I think your rocks will tend to move downslope even when they are on the fabric. I have read (on Pond Boss?) that a good solution is to build a lip in your fabric and rocks to stop or retard this movement.

Hopefully, some of the good plant guys can help you on your other questions.

Good luck on your project!
Posted By: ZIGMAN Re: Geotextile Liner/underlay - 06/07/21 07:02 PM
I used road construction underlayment on my quarter acre pond and then covered it with limestone. It came in a roll that was twelve feet long and I had them cut it into five and seven foot lengths. I used the different lengths dependent on the slope of the bank. I have not had much trouble with the rocks sliding into the pond as my steepest incline is about 3:1. You will still get weeds that germinate on top of the fabric, but it does keep the rocks from sinking into the clay. I have seen the fabric slide in a few places but it still looks pretty good after seven years. The rocks have kept the shoreline intact as my pond is in an open and windy area. I do not have any aquatic vegetation (other than algae) wink.

I forgot to add that I used six inch landscaping staples to affix the fabric to the ground.
Posted By: G.DUB Re: Geotextile Liner/underlay - 06/07/21 07:13 PM
Thanks. I got the underlay from Pondsonline. I'm pretty sure it's 10oz. It's very thick. Same stuff they use on roads. I got 15x300 feet and that would pretty much cover my whole "beach" area. I did also get the landscape "nails". I'm thinking that putting the liner in the part of the pond where the plants will be, will be sort of a waste.

That's good to hear you don't have many issues with the rocks sliding, even on the 3:1 slope. What kind/size of rocks did you use?
Posted By: ZIGMAN Re: Geotextile Liner/underlay - 06/08/21 02:23 PM
#4 Limestone
© Pond Boss Forum