Pond Boss
Posted By: treeplanter Pond renovation saga - 03/22/08 01:27 AM
Watching the forum over the past several months I've learned a lot. However I have to say I underestimated how tough it can be to renovate a 40 year old pond. Would have never believed how long it takes for silt to dry...FOREVER!

Thought I'd share a few pics of the progress:
[img][/img]
This is the main pool of the pond when we first bought the place two years ago (and my son who can't wait to fish the place!). Most was about 3-4' deep, with another quarter acre or so out of view that looked more like a wetlands as the depth was <18".
[img][/img]
Last spring we breached the dam to begin the drying process so we could excavate and reshape the banks. 35 years of heavy grazing and cattle traffic had created a lot of erosion around the banks.

This is the pond after 9 months of drying. Looks dry right? As many on the forum would have predicted it was bone dry...to exactly 18"...then mush, lots of wet mush.

We've made a valiant effort to excavate and get back some good depth. We also plan to raise the pipe to add another 12-18" of depth. It's not as deep as I would like, but we have a good 15-20% that should be at 10-12' and another 20% or so that will hopefully stay around 8'. I say hopefully because you can see that there were some places we couldn't reach without burying the excavator so we cut shelves and left an island or two that at full pool should be 4-5' deep. My hope is that those will hold when we refill and not spread evenly on the pond floor later.

Although we're all ready to load this thing with Condello bluegill and start fishing this summer, we want to do this right and it looks like we're going to need a dry summer before we can do the finish grading and reshape the banks. Guess the extra time will give me a chance to add some structure and get more ideas from the pond bosses! Any and all ideas/feedback welcome. This is obviously my first time doing this and I'd rather that the next time is done when my kids have kids.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond renovation saga - 03/22/08 02:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: treeplanter

Although we're all ready to load this thing with Condello bluegill and start fishing this summer, we want to do this right and it looks like we're going to need a dry summer before we can do the finish grading and reshape the banks.

You've got me jealous already - you're gonna have a whole pond to fill with CSBG!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond renovation saga - 03/22/08 01:20 PM
It looks like a fine project. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond renovation saga - 03/22/08 01:57 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: treeplanter

Although we're all ready to load this thing with Condello bluegill and start fishing this summer, we want to do this right and it looks like we're going to need a dry summer before we can do the finish grading and reshape the banks.

You've got me jealous already - you're gonna have a whole pond to fill with CSBG!

Jealousy increasing the more I think about it. That hypothetical third pond of mine is gonna get big, fat lavender CSBG, at least in my mind.
Posted By: treeplanter Re: Pond renovation saga - 04/07/08 01:55 AM
Since we can't begin filling up the pond until at least fall we're working on a few structures. Not sure the CSBG will fit in these tubes...may have to upsize to 6"!

Posted By: TOM G Re: Pond renovation saga - 04/18/08 02:56 PM
Nice pics,thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond renovation saga - 09/22/08 05:10 AM
How did I miss this thread???

Very cool photos, sir! Are there more photos available now?
Posted By: cwooten Re: Pond renovation saga - 10/13/08 04:15 PM
What are the above drainage tubes/fish houses held together with?
© Pond Boss Forum