Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:27 AM
Even though Bill left this for me to read on the SFS thread :), " Remiss: careless in, or negligent about, attending to a task or effort." My wife says Thank you Bill Cody for guidance to her husband for raising a fish she caught yesterday completely and totally under her own skills and judgement, as it was weight certified today and DNA is being tested for potential acceptance of the new Kansas State Record YP of 1lb 7.4oz topping the 22 year old record by 6.4oz.
Thank You Dr. Perca!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:31 AM
Snipe - What a beautiful fish and for a pretty and happy wife. You are doing really good fishey work out there in Kansas. Length of that yellow perch was???
That perch would weigh at least 2 more ounces right before dropping those eggs. Tell your sweet wife that this is just the beginning. Congrats for both beauties.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:39 AM
351mm Bill.

13.82" for us metric challenged.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 02:54 AM
State record! Wow! Congratulations on a tremendous accomplishment! laugh
Posted By: Heppy Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:14 AM
Congratulations to your wife Snipe! That is an amazing accomplishment, fantastic fishery you have developed!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 07:18 AM
Well done Kenny!
Posted By: RAH Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 10:38 AM
Cool beans!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:06 PM
TUNA!!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:12 PM
Kenny, congrats to you and your wife.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 01:50 PM
Not the kind of "Bill Cody and my wife" thread one reads on the True Confessions Forum. shocked
Posted By: Flame Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 02:32 PM
Wow!! Congats!!!!!
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 03:15 PM
That is awesome! pretty fish!

is it typical that most states allow state record fish to come from private ponds? I was under impression that they would see private pondfish having 'unfair' advantage (kind of like the advantage taken by current cross breed female swimmers)
Posted By: esshup Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Not the kind of "Bill Cody and my wife" thread one reads on the True Confessions Forum. shocked

When I saw the title of the thread that is what I was expecting. LOL
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 04:40 PM
Congrats Kenny!

I suspect you may be able to report a succession of new records over the next few years!

The bars on the back half of that YP are definitely NOT vertical. Is that due to its rapid growth? Is that a sex differentiation? Is that something particular to your strain of YP? Or are their vertical bars of YP somewhat random in orientation?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 05:19 PM
Amazing! Well done amigo!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 05:39 PM
Congratulations!

Where was the previous yellow perch record caught from?
Posted By: jludwig Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
That is awesome! pretty fish!

is it typical that most states allow state record fish to come from private ponds? I was under impression that they would see private pondfish having 'unfair' advantage (kind of like the advantage taken by current cross breed female swimmers)

Oklahoma definitely does. Very few people sink the resources need into a pond to compete with state records of the most popular fish.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 05:57 PM
Is it incorrect to assume that all sport fish would have a much easier time growing larger when not in a public body of water that faces regular fishing pressure and the normal competition for scarce food resources? It seems a pond even with occasional hand feeding would take away the real world factors that would slow growth in public bodies of water. But I'm ignorant to the science here. I'm very curious though.

Michigan only recognizes records in bodies of water open to the public.
Posted By: Stressless Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 05:58 PM
Congrats!!!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:16 PM
Good job!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:20 PM
What a tank!! How'd she taste?
Posted By: RStringer Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:35 PM
No matter what its still a Yellow Perch caught in kansas.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by jludwig
Congratulations!

Where was the previous yellow perch record caught from?

The previous state record was from 2000. That YP was caught in a Coffey County farm pond.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 06:48 PM
Did you fillet and check fat content and egg mass?
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 07:11 PM
Bam!!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 07:40 PM

And flavor of the fillets?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod

And flavor of the fillets?
The fish is back in the pond. The biologist knows we have some even bigger and asked that I not request a new record every month so I'm guessing when someone other than me catches one, we will set a goal for half-pound increments..:-))
And.. if nothing else, we verified my personal scale is indeed accurate.
I thought about tanking the fish with 6-8 males and letting her blow the ribbon but it's just more space taken that I need for SMB, so I'm going to let them blow in the pond and when I get a giant ribbon I will collect and send to Dr. Perca.. Hopefully he can determine if there is truly a genetic thing going on here with growth rates.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 08:53 PM
The bars on the back half of that YP are definitely NOT vertical. Is that due to its rapid growth? Is that a sex differentiation? Is that something particular to your strain of YP? Or are their vertical bars of YP somewhat random in orientation?

It is normal in my experience to see variation of pattern of the vertical bars on yellow perch in every population. The variation seems to me to be genetically affiliated. I get numerous YP with one or a few of the bars in the shape of Y. This pattern equates to the pattern of different stripes on the skin of most fish that have stripes.

The YP pictured above in just the beginning of big perch that will be produced by Snipe. Expect siblings of that YP in 1-2 years to be close to or at 16". Thereafter their diet will determine how much longer they live and grow toward the elusive 17"-19" YP. The state record YP in Michigan is 21".
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 09:40 PM
Bill, the state record in MI dates back to 1947. 21" and 3.5 lbs seems impossible. This record was caught in a small lake right by lake Superior in the far north (marquette county) of the UP almost as far north as Michigan gets. Only Copper Harbor point is further north. Think far north enough to almost have permafrost. And how would this non-descript lake with a very short warm water growing season ever produce a freaky large YP? Has the lake every produced anything else close?

I would love to research how it was certified and if this fish was genetically tested for proper ID. One has to wonder.

There is lots of food in Lake Michigan and fish rarely see YP length numbers past 14"

It is an interesting fact that although MI will give out master angler awards based on length, they will only certify state record fish based on weight (regardless of length)

A michigan angler set the Tennessee state record in 2019 with a 2 pound, 5 oz fish that was not quite 16".

Tennessee record 2019/MI angler

Bill, as you know Pond Boss member Cecil Baird grew giant perch. Here was a quote from him in 2010:

"Here's my biggest at 16 1/4 inches and 2 lbs. 13 oz. She would have shattered the (Indiana) state record by 5 oz. if my state would have allowed me to enter her. Feeding fish was considered an unfair advantage. Apparently my DNR doesn't know how common feeding fish in ponds is."

Picture is here:
https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222346

Other pictures of behemoth pond raised YP, Trout and BG are posted here:

Beautiful pond raised trophy YP (plus BG,brook trout, Browns, Tiger trout)

===============

Yes, with good genetics, good feed, and good water conditions, lots of insects, snails, or pond pellets to eat, I bet Snipe, and others especially in ponds in milder climates will see 16-17" YP.

Dono from ontario how big do YP get in your pond?

For records set by weight, catching through ice or right at ice out when egg mass is largest will help establish those records.

Snipe happy to hear that this momma's genetically superior eggs may hatch in your pond again!
Posted By: azteca Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 10:07 PM
Hello.

To date here the record is 17.5 inches.

New Jersey Delaware river 1865, 18 inches
A+
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 10:53 PM
Bill, the state record in MI dates back to 1947. 21" and 3.5 lbs seems impossible. This record was caught in a small lake right by lake Superior in the far north (marquette county) of the UP almost as far north as Michigan gets. Only Copper Harbor point is further north. Think far north enough to almost have permafrost. And how would this non-descript lake with a very short warm water growing season ever produce a freaky large YP? Has the lake every produced anything else close?

I think some record fish are actual freaks!

When I was in Hawaii for my honeymoon, we saw a near miss for the blue marlin world record. The 1199# fish was actually misshapen and was not sleek at all like the other large marlin that were caught in the tournament.

Most of the largest humans in the world have typically had some type of endocrine anomaly (or something similar).

Are some of the old record fish actually freaks? [I do NOT intend for that word to apply to any humans.] If so, will someone try to recreate the hormone problem on purpose to grow and catch the world record LMB? (I have seen estimates that such a fish would be worth more than $1,000,000.)
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/22/22 11:48 PM
Congratulations on that great fish Ken.

Fishing Rod, A record fish a freak? Maybe so. Lots of things come together to make a record fish. Three things that come to mind ...

1. long life/survival
2. Above average appetite
3. Dominance to get better than its fair share of food.

It stands to reason competition is relatively low relative to the supply of food in any water that produces large fish but these traits would set some fish apart. Its not sensible compare growth without standardizing treatments of course.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 01:18 AM
I see that Michigan had its record in 1947 and Minnesota's record YP was 3 pounds, 4 ounces (no length details were recorded) in 1945. Speaking of 'freak fish' maybe the nuclear detonations in August of 1945 created conditions that allowed freaky fish growth..
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 01:18 AM
The post Cecil has with the pic is why I will never put my name on a record from my own pond. 11 days ago I caught a 16-1/8" YP that was 2lbs 11oz and another 14-1/4" weighing 1lb 10 oz (per my scale). The wife catching what she did, damn right I'll let her take it..
She set up her rod, baited it, done it all. She caught 2 nearly identical fish sunday and the reason we kept this one was it was hooked a bit deep and I was afraid it wouldn't make it. I tanked the fish in sedative and salt because I don't want to just fillet a fish like this, I wanted to see if we could save it. When it became obvious it was going to survive I said lets weigh and measure for my records. When I told her it appears to be about a good 5-6oz over State record, her eye lit up and she said "I want it!" no way in hell would I deny her of that. It has brought something out of her that surprised me and that is her new-found interest of exactly what I do down there, connected the dots you might say. This is the first time in 4-1/2 years (since I built the pond) that she has got to fish it. Once or maybe twice a year she goes fishing with me, so I have absolutely no regret to letting her have that seat.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 01:25 AM
Snipe, what was your setup for feeding the YP that gave good results?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 01:39 AM
The first stocking of YP were 75 4-7" fish. none of the first stocking were feed trained.
The next year I had 300 4" perch that I split into 2 groups to try my hand at feed training in a cage per Bill's suggestions.
About 4 weeks later I stocked 50 of the feed trained fish in my pond and 50 non feed trained in early 2019, then sold the rest to a friend 30 miles south of me.. I was feeding by hand every day at the pond until mid 2020 when I got a feeder and I can't say that I could confirm seeing any YP feed until last summer when I could ID YP feeding every so often. I have fed floating feed only but I can't "knowingly" give credit to supplemental feed.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 02:15 PM
Wow, what a monster! beautiful fish!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by jpsdad
Fishing Rod, A record fish a freak? Maybe so. Lots of things come together to make a record fish. Three things that come to mind ...

1. long life/survival
2. Above average appetite
3. Dominance to get better than its fair share of food.

It stands to reason competition is relatively low relative to the supply of food in any water that produces large fish but these traits would set some fish apart. Its not sensible compare growth without standardizing treatments of course.

My comment was obviously too succinct to communicate my meaning.

Obviously, the things you cite are critical for developing a "record" fish.

Snipe has only stocked 175(?) YP of the cohort that are producing state records. Would an electrofishing survey show 10-20% are already records? I suspect many of these fish will continue to push out the state record for several more years.

I also believe that several other people on Pond Boss have raised YP in their ponds that and have created numerous fish that would shatter their existing state records.

My conclusion is that none of these pre-existing state record YP were extraordinary at all.

The point that I failed to convey was that SOME records do appear to be extraordinary! (I was hoping some of our experts that intensively raise fish might expand or rebut that observation based on their expertise.)

The Minnesota YP record fish of 3# 4oz does appear to be extraordinary. I think the U.S. record LMB from 1932 also appears to be extraordinary.

Imagine if you gave me the following assignment: "Search the archives of Pond Boss and estimate the number of YP that have been raised by members that exceed their respective state records. Consider that record LMB are far more highly sought than record YP, and that pond owners have spent tens of millions of dollars in pursuit of record LMB. The original world record LMB was caught in 1932. Estimate the number of times since 2000 that private pond owners in Florida and Texas have bested the world record."

If I had no "outside" knowledge about LMB, I would probably predict that the record had been broken several hundred times.

Obviously, my incorrect answer would make me a dumba$$.

When I reach dumba$$ conclusions, I like to know WHY I am so wrong.

If any of the experts care to expand on my "off topic" discussion, I think it could be an enlightening discussion.

Basically, the record U.S. LMB has stood for 90 years, DESPITE our best efforts to beat it. The world record YP of 4# 3oz was caught in NJ in 1865.

My question is: were these two fish extraordinary in some "individual" sense, or was there just a perfect confluence of the 3 key environmental factors (+ more?) cited by jpsdad that created these record fish?

Kenny,

I don't want to stomp on your thread. I think(?) your intention was to post a good story about your wife and add to our longstanding pursuit of trying to produce record fish. If my question follows in the "spirit" of your OP, then I would like to leave it up and read the responses. If you want me to remove it, could you send my a brief PM to do so?
Posted By: jludwig Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 06:22 PM
Is it incorrect to assume that all sport fish would have a much easier time growing larger when not in a public body of water that faces regular fishing pressure and the normal competition for scarce food resources? It seems a pond even with occasional hand feeding would take away the real world factors that would slow growth in public bodies of water. But I'm ignorant to the science here. I'm very curious though.

Michigan only recognizes records in bodies of water open to the public.

The smaller the body of water is more the likely the fish are likely to become stunted in my opinion. But also more likely to be heavily managed.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 09:21 PM
I'm going to add my thoughts to some of your questions, Rod..
First, the question of "Is there something special about most existing state record/world record fish"
Blunt answer: Yes, or they wouldn't stand for 10-15-20-50-100 years.
Small pond management creates the best conditions for sampling, fishing and growing bigger fish because you have a limited area of management, more easily influenced by a managers input.
I'm sure most pond owners that learn proper management that grows above average fish have had several encounters with fish above existing record statis. In my situation, as I said above, I will never put my name on a record from my pond.
In my case I believe I have superior genetics which is one part of the puzzle, management is key, but understanding what you change or don't change in management is not learned overnight and it most cases you can't apply what you don't know without making mistakes to understand it was the wrong move. I don't care how much one researches "Pond topics and growing fish" each pond will be different in how the ecosystem reacts to changes. There are basic principles we can apply but there is no absolute rule to this because there are way too many variables that we may never understand. All we can do is somewhat control what we do understand-in reality, that is all we can apply as managers.
No, I still don't feel guilty allowing my wife to put her name on the new state record YP. Yes, there are some in there bigger than what she caught. When you spend nearly every spare moment you have with fisheries and other related items for 35+ years instead of doing all the things my wife has wished I would have done around the house, I think she more than deserved this honor. I'm not going to feel guilty about it.
My point is this could happen in any pond with the right conditions but we may only have some understanding of half of those variables, so yes, luck, genetics, management we understand and an individual fish having something special is absolutely necessary for these freaks to occur.
Posted By: snrub Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/23/22 11:02 PM
Congratulations Kenny!

Now, hmmmmm, do I need another species in my pond.................. Probably not but is tempting! Everybody that has them seems to love them.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 12:59 AM
IMO electroshocking is not a good way to sample yellow perch for a couple of reasons.
1. Electroshocking is most effective in relatively shallow water maybe around 4ft-6ft deep depending on water conditions.
2. If depth is available, YP at least the larger adults prefer to spend most if not the majority of their time deeper than 6ft.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 01:35 AM
I agree Bill... I use fykes for my fall sampling and the lead is set from shore to about 8' deep.
Posted By: esshup Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 06:40 AM
I also believe that several other people on Pond Boss have raised YP in their ponds that and have created numerous fish that would shatter their existing state records.

I don't know if Nebraska has any record for fish according to line weight but I did catch a 10# HSB out of TJ's pond on 2# test line a few years ago. never thought about entering it in anything, it was released.
Posted By: azteca Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 03:21 PM
Hello.

Of course we have to work with what we have.

But states records not sure, how many monster have never been registered.

The world record for Muskellunge is 1.64 and 31.7 kg, but individuals of 45 kg have already been reported but not registered.

After a day of fishing how many anglers will go to register their fish.
A+
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 03:32 PM
Kenny,

Thanks for the additional information.

I am looking forward to one of your buddies' grandchildren breaking the state record again this spring.

That should motivate your wife to re-double her angling efforts to regain the crown in 2023!

P.S. One thing I DO NOT recall reading on Pond Boss is that people report observing state record fish during their electroshock or net surveys.

Are the biggest fish smarter and avoid sampling? Or are most surveys not performed during the pre-spawn to avoid fish stress, spawn disruption etc.?
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by esshup

I don't know if Nebraska has any record for fish according to line weight but I did catch a 10# HSB out of TJ's pond on 2# test line a few years ago. never thought about entering it in anything, it was released.

Nebraska state record HSB is 20# 1oz. World record is 27#, 5oz.

I think you should probably go back to visit TJ in 4-5 years. However, you should probably move up to 6# test to land a 20# HSB! grin
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 04:12 PM
I think Kenny's record fish(es) are prime example of what can be accomplished by setting up the conditions that grow fish large. The single most important variable is sufficient consumption to sustain the growth. Kenny's fish are distinguished as being record holders and if you source your YP to his stock then you have the opportunity to produce similar results. It's really great to know that you are beginning with fish who have a track record.

The YP are just the beginning however. You have to insure there is vibrant food chain. So it's not enough to have fish with a proven track record, you need to provide what it takes and achieve a population structure that will produce such fish within your pond's limits of food production. Kenny can help you with that. His food chain utilizes multiple niches that complement and expand his pond's ability to produce food. The minnows and crayfish are highly concentrated energy relative to insects and lepomis. This, I think, plays a role in his success.

Though the YP may not have consumed a lot of Optimal floating on the surface, a fair proportion of Optimal sinks and/or sinks sooner than other floating feed. But in Ken's pond, I am not so sure they really need the feed except for the manuring effect that stimulates his abundant minnow population.

We should be very careful to refrain from using the words "poor genetics" and/or "superior genetics". Few species experience natural selection at the intensity that fish populations do. Fish that possess the traits to survive under the forces of natural selection have, of course, the genetics to survive and grow to above average sizes.

I don't know where Kenny's fish come from originally but if from a local impoundment, they must of good genetic heritage as only the survivors of intense natural selection are represented in the population of adults. This isn't the case with hatchery fish which are denied natural selection influences as much as is possible to maximize yield. It is very important that a hatchery manager make good choices for maintenance of brood in order to produce populations more like the survivors of natural selection. In other words, it's a challenge to prevent the decay of artificially selected strains without good selection practice. It would be very easy to destroy heritage strengths in a hatchery setting by selecting brooders willy nilly. This is because there is little in the way of natural selection working to weeding the weakest genetics. A hatchery wants to sell the entire crop, not just the ones that are exceptions.

The Ketona Lake BG were enormous by any standard, not just records but two world records within a couple of ounces of each other. Had a private fishery obtained stock there, we may well have been buying "Ketona Strain" BG with the thought we had the genetics to grow world record fish. As it turns out, the state of Alabama fisheries biologist investigated and found they had nothing up on their own hatchery selected strain when grown in experimental ponds. This should come as no surprise. The fish probably came from an Alabama state hatchery to begin with. They started with a similar genetic toolset only 20 year (or less) before. In order to grow Ketona Lake quality BG ... you have to replicate the conditions of Ketona Lake.

I've said this before, we worry too much about genetics and whether we have given ourselves a fighting chance from the get go. How hard is it to recreate the conditions of Ketona lake? DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. But if you could there is potential that you could grow World Class BG with otherwise ordinary BG. Only a few of them would be world class because fish are individuals this is why it works to grow freaks. You see if every fish in the lake had freak genes, there would be no advantage for any individual fish to excel with respect to its peers. It takes all of them to create the miracle of Ketona Lake.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 06:36 PM
All i can add is... Congrats to you (Kenny aka snipe) and your wife. You are doing what so many on here want to do. Grow huge fish and thats what you are doing. I dont care how ya caught it or what ya feed it. Bottom line is it broke the state record (fair and square). Dosnt sound like you did anything wrong just everything right. I do love how you didnt let yourself take the record. You was planning on letting a kid take it but if ya cant understand letting the wife do it then your not married lol. I can also say I appreciate how much you add to the forum and in person.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 07:48 PM
Reading Rusto's post using the phrase (fair and square), and Kenny's post using the phrase (don't feel guilty) - I hope those are not in response to something they took from my posts!

If so, it was not my intent to imply any impropriety. I definitely take a vicarious pride in any big fish or record fish produced by the Pond Boss forum contributors! (I currently don't have the capability to produce ANY decent fish in my three puddles.)

Further, I know Kenny has interactions with the state biologists for his area. (I believe several other contributors are also connected to the academic portion of fishery biology community.)

I hope Pond Boss people continuously produce state records. Feedback of advantageous conditions, or even brood stock fish, to the state authorities can only make the public fisheries better. Also, a story in the area newspapers about a record fish, might induce some parents to remember to take their videogaming kids out fishing this year!
Posted By: RStringer Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/24/22 08:46 PM
Rod that was not a shoot at you or anyone to be honest. Thats just how i feel. Also yes i believe the freak fish idea. Kinda like theres humans that our over 1000 pounds. Some cant break 100 pounds to save their life. Some can change it some cant. Now im sure people will disagree or feel im fat shaming or skinny shaming. Which is just not true im not shaming anyone. One of these yellow perch from the same momma and daddy could eat the same amount and be totally different size. I hope to see a post from Snipe here in the next year or so with stretch mark on it. It makes me curious to just how big he can get them. Just want to say snipe you keep doing you and please keep posting the results.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/25/22 02:20 AM

Wow! How long was the fight?
Posted By: anthropic Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/25/22 02:25 AM
Rod, wasn't a 25 lb LMB caught in California? As I recall, it was foul hooked and thus not qualified for world record status, but it does show what can happen. Got extraordinarily big eating lots of rainbow trout, I think.

Also, Lake Havasu has churned out some 5 lb plus redear sunfish, primarily due to infestation of mussels.

Very extraordinary circumstances, especially regarding food, can bring out the best!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/25/22 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by anthropic
Very extraordinary circumstances, especially regarding food, can bring out the best!

Kenny had another post about the Kansas fisheries people using Koi to grow some monster LMB.

I know Rusto has some Koi in his pond. I am hoping one of his kids catches a state record LMB out of there in a few years!

I think you and I are in agreement that the world record for a LMB will inevitably fall. I am just amazed that it hasn't fallen yet considering how many millions of dollars have been spent in Texas alone in the pursuit of monster LMB.
Posted By: esshup Re: Bill Cody and my wife - 02/25/22 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by anthropic

Wow! How long was the fight?

About 15-20 minutes. FireIsHot was standing next to me, I remember asking TJ if there were any sticks/snags in the pond, he said no, just weeds.
Shimano Sidestab 1000R (rear drag) Shimano Compre CPS56UL rod. I forget what crankbait, it was SMALL as I was tossing it for BG. Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Set the drag before you start fishing AND DON"T TOUCH IT!
© Pond Boss Forum