Pond Boss
Posted By: CityDad Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/02/21 02:12 PM
Hi Pondboss!

I wanted to suggest some article topics for southern ponds.
It seems a LOT of articles are based on northern ponds (winter, freezing, cold water....) and not much on southern ponds here are a few things I'd like to to read about-

Hot water
Alligators
Winter spawning
How fluctuating air temps affect spawning/fish
Prevent your pond from turning into a swamp
Turn a swamp into a real pond
Invasive species and how to manage them without relying on a 'freeze' to kill them
Hurricane preparedness for a pond
Recovering from a hurricane
Effects of sandy soil on a pond.
Native plants for erosion/bank control/adding to a pond
Wildlife issues in the south, Native wildlife beneficial planting etc.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/02/21 04:07 PM
It's a balancing act between north and south. Pond Boss got some complaints from northern pondmeisters that they were being neglected, and tried to respond. Prior to that, southern ponds tended to dominate discussions, as most of the PB subscribers live in the south.
Posted By: ewest Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/02/21 04:18 PM
There are lots of southern articles in the Mag and info on the Forum. That is a good list.
FYI for all - there are more than 2 pond environments in the US.
CityDad your central Fla location (and south) is more of a tropical environment and not like much of the south. For example tilapia will overwinter , LMB and BG spawn anywhere from 8-12 mths a year (big difference biologically) , land is very productive (as is water) { you are sitting on phosphate and limestone} .
Posted By: CityDad Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/03/21 04:14 AM
Interesting!

Was trying to provide constructive feedback. Only been subscribed for 5 issues I think?
Just seemed like lots of talk about ice etc. Obviously I've been through these forums quite a bit smile

If you point me at a few older issues that have good articles I'll buy them if they are still available on backorder.
Posted By: esshup Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/03/21 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by CityDad
Interesting!

Was trying to provide constructive feedback. Only been subscribed for 5 issues I think?
Just seemed like lots of talk about ice etc. Obviously I've been through these forums quite a bit smile

If you point me at a few older issues that have good articles I'll buy them if they are still available on backorder.

Have you found this page yet? There's roughly 120 back issues here, and a brief description of the main articles:
Pond Boss back issues

Bill Cody was putting a complete list of articles and what issue they were in in the archives. Here is 2018: 2018

If you look through the archives, you will find a lot more years that he listed: Archives
Posted By: anthropic Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/03/21 06:26 AM
CityDad, did you folks lose tilapia in the recent cold snap? That happened in Texas all the way to the Gulf coast.
Posted By: CityDad Re: Articles for Southern Pond Owners - 03/03/21 03:32 PM
Heck no, I dont think my water went below 70*
© Pond Boss Forum